Billy Hargrove X Reader - Deep Down

A/N - This chapter was inspired by the song Deep Down by Alok, Ella Eyre, Dope, and Never Dull. I hope you all enjoy it.

When your parent's phone started ringing at around 8 pm on a Friday, you knew exactly who would be on the other end of the line. It happened the same way every single time. Billy would do or say something stupid, or mean, or downright ridiculous, and you would tell him it was over. You were done. The two of you were through. And in the moment, you were pretty sure you meant it too. And then, a couple of days later, he would call you, full of apologies and promises and sweet nothings, and even though you knew it would all end happening again in a few months, you were still stupid enough to take him back. 

And the worst part of all of this idiotic behaviour? You didn't regret it one bit. Sure, your relationship could be rocky, but you really did love Billy and knew for certain that he loved you too, even when he was being a total tool. There was no one in the world you would rather have bothering you day in and day out.

You made your slow wander over to the phone, picking up just as Billy was about to give up all hope and hang up. 

"Hello?" you hummed softly, waiting patiently as Billy let out a quiet sigh. He knew the drill as well as you did. This was the part where he had to grovel, practically on hands and knees, for you to forgive him. And every time you went through this little routine, you made it a little harder for him, holding out a little longer before letting him back into your life. 

"Sweetheart," he started, his voice flowing down the phone and making your stomach flip at the gentle tone he was using. "Come home, Baby."

Well, this was new. No begging. No beating around the bush. Just straight to the point. "What makes you think I'm just going to forget that you were a total ass-"

"Babe," he uttered again, silencing you before you could really get into your tirade. "Please."

You hesitated for a moment. In all the time that you and Billy had been dating, however off and on again you guys were, you'd never heard him like this. "What's going on?"

"Can you just come home?"

"Billy-"

"My Mom called me. Apparently, she's going to be in Indianapolis in a couple of weeks. She wants to meet up."

Fuck. Well, that was a change in the usual script. "Oh," you murmured softly, nodding even though you knew he wouldn't be able to see you. "Right," you pressed on, trying to figure out something to say to help him make sense of the situation.

"I want to see her," he confessed quietly. "But I don't think I can do it on my own," he pressed on. "And I know I was an asshole and I know you're mad, but please, just come home and let me fix it." He hesitated for a moment. "Sweetheart, I need you."

"I-" your breath caught in your throat. "If I come home, we need to stop doing this, alright?" you uttered. "We need to stop treating each other like shit and just assuming we'll make up at the end of it all. It was fine when we were stupid teenagers, but we're adults now, and we need to start acting like it."

He sniffed lightly on the other end of the line. "I swear, Baby, I'll be better."

"Okay," you told him softly. "I'll come home," you pressed on. "Give me a couple of hours to get my stuff together and-"

"Can I come to you?" 

Your brow furrowed slightly. "I'll only be a couple of hours," you reminded him. "I'll be home before you know it."

"I know, but I just-" he paused, swallowing down the lump in his throat. "I need to see you, Sweetheart. Just want to be near you." 

"Okay," you breathed, keeping your voice as soft and comforting as you could manage. "Yeah, just come over and you can help me get my stuff together. It'll be quicker that way anyway."

*Time Skip*

Billy had been pretty out of sorts when he'd turned up at your parent's house to pick you up, shifting uncomfortably in the doorway of your childhood bedroom until you had taken his hand and led him inside. 

 "I swear," you hummed softly, shaking your head. "Every time I come home my mom tries to get me to take a little more stuff back to our place," you pressed on, offering him a sweet smile. "So, it looks like Mr Cuddles is moving in with us," you added, showcasing an old stuffed bear to him and watching a small smile form on his lips. 

"Mr Cuddles, huh?" he uttered, settling down on your bed as he took the bear from your hands. "He's a handsome fella," he pressed on, holding up and making him wave at you. "Hope you aren't planning on replacing me with this little guy," he added.

You chuckled slightly at his comment, rolling your eyes. "With a stuffed animal?"

"You guys have got a history, Baby. I get it," he pressed on, fighting back a smile when you snorted with laughter again.

"Yeah, we've got history, but he doesn't compare to you, Bill," you chuckled, moving forward until you were standing between his knees, your hand lifting to cup his cheek. "Anyway, he may be cuddly, but there's nothing going on behind the eyes, is there?" you hummed, lifting the bear out of his hands to show him the face.

Billy let out a sharp snort, shaking his head. "Give him a break, Baby. It's not his fault his head's all full of fluff." Billy's arm wrapped around your middle as you laughed, pulling you impossibly closer until he had his forehead resting against your stomach. "I really missed you this week," he confessed quietly, letting out a soft, contented hum when your hands landed in his hair, smoothing it back. 

"I missed you too," you told him. "Do you want to talk about what happened with your Mom?"

He swallowed, his grip on you tightening slightly. "She just called up out of nowhere, like she thinks the last 16 years never happened; like she didn't just up and leave me with Neil, even though she knew what he was like," he muttered. "I've not seen her since I was 8 and then she just rocks up like she's mom of the year and she wants me to pretend that's normal."

You let out a soft sigh, your hands stilling in his hair. "Do you want my opinion?"

"Always."

You hesitated for a moment. "I think your Mom made a lot of mistakes and I think she already knows that, but, if I were you, I would tell her how I felt. Tell her that her leaving hurt you and that her leaving you with Neil was a terrible choice. Tell her that you aren't ready to fully go back to acting like you did before she left and that you aren't sure when you'll be ready for that. Just be honest and open with her and set your boundaries as soon as you can."

He nodded slightly. "You're really smart, you know that?"

You chuckled slightly. "I've heard it a few times," you confessed quietly. 

"Will you come with me? When I go to meet her?"

Your mouth opened and closed, unsure of your answer. "Do you think that's a good idea?"

"I don't want to do it alone," he uttered, pulling back just enough to look up at you. "You make me feel calmer," he added softly. "Having you around makes me feel safe."

You nodded, cupping his cheek again. "Then I'll be there."

Please consider supporting me for just £3 using Ko-Fi. The link is available on my profile page. If you have any questions about Ko-Fi please feel free to private message me. Thank you. L x