Eddie Munson X Reader - Dumb Love

A/N - This chapter was inspired by the song Dumb Love by Mimi Webb. I hope you all enjoy it.

You let out a soft grumble as you stirred awake, stretching out your arm until your fingertips made contact with Eddie's chest, a small smile pulling at the corners of your lips. It was rare that you got to wake up before he did anymore. Ever since he'd taken on extra hours at work to make a little more cash, he'd been up and out of the house before the sun would even start rising, leaving you fast asleep in your shared bed. But today, you'd managed to wake up before he had, and he was still settled beside you, snoring softly. 

As your eyes adjusted to the darkness, you shifted yourself closer to Eddie, burrowing under his outstretched arm until he moved on instinct, drawing you into his side and pressing a sleep-addled kiss to the top of your head. 

"Mornin'" he hummed out as he woke slowly, his grip on you tightening when he felt you press your face into his chest, your lips smiling against his skin. "You're up early," he pressed, peaking his eyes open to look down at you, squinting through the darkness of your bedroom. 

You hummed out a soft agreement, letting your fingers drift over his stomach lightly. "Wanted to wake up with you," you murmured, hearing the way his breath caught in his chest at your comment. Hell, even after almost 10 years of you two being together, it still caught him off guard when he realised how much you loved him. 

There had been a time when you were both dumb teenagers when he'd assumed it was all too good to be real. You couldn't possibly love him like you claimed to. A girl as soft and gentle as you couldn't be in love with someone like him. Someone as beautiful as you would never want to be with someone who looked like he did. But you'd made it your mission to prove him wrong and now, he knew deep down, that no matter what his mind might try to tell him, he was more than deserving of your affection. 

"Is it everything you hoped?" he asked you softly, lifting his hand to brush your hair back out of your face. Now that his eyes had adjusted to the darkness, he took a moment to appreciate the sight in front of him. You always looked beautiful, but right now, it was something else entirely. You had this half-asleep softness in your eyes that he loved more than anything, and you were smiling at him as if he'd just said something totally awe-inspiring. 

You nodded, letting your fingers drift up over his chest lightly. "Everything and more," you confirmed quietly. "I miss waking up like this," you confessed, your fingers finally reaching the point that you loved most. 

Right there, over his heart, in permanent ink, was your name. It wasn't anything special. In fact, it was pretty simple, just one word in jet black, standing out against his pale skin. But to you, it was one of the most beautiful things in the world. It was a claim of loyalty. It was a declaration of love. It was proof that he was yours. 

When he'd first gotten the tattoo, you'd been a little shocked. He'd not warned you. He'd not even mentioned that he was getting anything done. But one evening, you'd turned up at the trailer and found him all sprawled out on his bed, and you'd spotted it within a second. After the shock had worn off somewhat, you'd been infatuated. And a couple of weeks later, you'd had his initials marked into the skin of your hip.

"You're easy to please," Eddie teased, smiling when you suddenly shifted forward to press a kiss over the tattoo. "You with me, Baby?" he murmured, using his free hand to lift your chin, forcing you to look him in the eyes. "Anyone home?" he pressed on, watching as your lips twitched at his teasing. 

"Just thinking about when we were dumb kids," you told him. "Back when everyone thought we were delusional," you added softly, hearing a snort of laughter slip out of him. 

Your parents had thought you were both out of your minds, committing yourself to one another so easily, even though you'd pointed out a hundred times over that they'd gotten married to one another far younger than you had. 

Your father had been certain that Eddie was a bad influence back then; the sort of boy that would get you in trouble and then ditch you. 

Your mother had just been concerned that you would regret the decision. Weddings are expensive; Divorces are even worse. She'd repeated the same thing to you for weeks after you'd told her that Eddie had proposed.

It was funny, looking back at it now. Your dad loved Eddie. He treated him like a son. Hell, the two of them had completely restored an old car that they'd brought cheap at an estate sale. They'd gone fishing together once, too, but Eddie had come back with a claim that sitting completely still and practically silent for 2 full days wasn't really for him. He'd won your mother over before you'd even tied the knot. 

"Yeah?" he hummed softly. "I think I was the dumb one," he murmured, his fingers brushing your cheek lightly. "You were always a smartass," he added, grinning when your mouth dropped open in horror. 

"I am not a smartass-"

Eddie let out a soft, grumbled disagreement, his nose wrinkling up slightly. "Yeah, you are. You're always right about everything. Always have been."

You glared playfully at him. "Not my fault I actually studied from time to time," you murmured, drawing a snort of laughter out of him. 

"You studied all the time," he chuckled. "You were my personal, little bookworm."

"I wasn't that bad-" your words trailed off when Eddie's alarm sounded from his bedside table, drawing a grumble out of him as he contorted himself to switch it off. "Have you got time to hit snooze?"

The soft sigh he released was enough of an answer, really, but he still pressed a kiss to the top of your head before untangling himself from your hold. "Sorry, Princess," he uttered, watching as you fell back onto your side of the bed. "Give me a couple of more months, and I'll talk to Frank about moving my shifts around a little, alright? We can get some more mornings together."

You rolled back over, watching as he tugged his jeans up his legs, and offered him a small smile. "I love you," you reminded him gently, causing him to go completely still, his eyes lingering on the softness of your expression. 

"I love you too, Princess," he uttered, crawling back onto the bed to give you another, deeper kiss. He paused like that for a moment, hovering half on, half off of the bed, his face barely an inch from yours. "I love you so fucking much," he repeated, nudging your nose with his. "Get some more sleep, alright? You don't have to get up for another hour, Princess."

You nodded, drawing the covers up over yourself as he went back to getting dressed, his eyes returning to you over and over, until finally, you made eye contact. "I'll miss you."

"I'll miss you too, Princess." He paused for a moment, smiling softly at you. 

Please consider supporting me for just £3 using Ko-Fi. The link is available on my profile page. If you have any questions about Ko-Fi please feel free to private message me. Thank you. L x