Eddie Munson X Reader - Complex

A/N - This chapter was inspired by the song Complex by Katie Gregson MacLeod. It came up in my Spotify Wrapped this week, and I'm honestly surprised I never used it as inspiration before now because I adore this song. For this one, Eddie and Reader got married straight out of highschool, so are married but are still pretty young. I hope you all enjoy it.

You released a soft sigh as you turned your keys in the engine of the van, the radio chugging to life, only to immediately start playing the most recent Corroded Coffin hit. It was hard to avoid Eddie's music these days, it was practically everywhere, especially when you were in Hawkins. Every little store or diner or bar wanted in on the cash cow that was the new local rockstars, playing their album on repeat ever since it had hit the charts. 

You quickly reached out, switching to a different station, only to be met with another of his songs and deciding to just turn the music off entirely. 

A couple of years ago, you wouldn't have imagined ever turning off the radio when Eddie's music was coming out of it. Hell, you would've been so shocked by him being on the radio at all that you doubted you would've been capable of doing anything. But now, it was just a reminder that he wasn't in Hawkins anymore.

You kept reminding yourself that he would be coming home soon. A couple more weeks of the boys being out in LA to record the next album and then he would be back with you and it would be like nothing had changed. But right now, a couple of weeks still felt like a lifetime away and hearing him singing wasn't exactly helping with your longing for him. 

Perhaps, if your circumstances had been different, you wouldn't be struggling so much. I mean, there was a time when you would've been out in LA recording music with him. He'd asked you to do as much. But you had a job here. And a half-finished college degree. And your family. Running off to the other side of the country to make music that might have never seen the light of day hadn't been an option for you at the time. So, you'd stayed in Hawkins whilst your husband ran off to chase his dreams and you had regretted it every day since. 

You were still grumbling when you finally reached the trailer, shoving the van door open with a heavy grunt and slamming it shut just as hard. Sure, Eddie was off living the high life, and you were still stuck in a shitty trailer driving a beat-up old van that broke down almost as often as it worked; that seemed totally fair, right?

Debut albums never make that much money. The second one will be where we start bringing in the big bucks and then we're going to buy the biggest house in Hawkins.

Eddie had been so excited by the prospects that you couldn't bring yourself to tell him that you didn't care how big your house was, as long as he was living in it with you. You couldn't figure out how to explain that you just wanted a roof over your head and your husband at your side. You didn't care about the money at all.

"Long day?" 

You offered up a small smile to Wayne when you almost walked straight into him, ready to march yourself right to bed in an attempt to finally relax. 

"You can say that again-"

He nodded slightly, tucking his hat onto his head. "You heard from Ed today?" 

You swallowed down the lump in your throat. "Nope."

"That the problem?"

You hesitated for a moment. Wayne had been a blessing in disguise when Eddie had first moved away. He was, possibly, the only person in Hawkins who missed Eddie as much as you did, and having him there to calm you down when the sadness had really hit you had been a borderline lifesaver. 

"Think I'm just tired; I didn't sleep great-"

His nod was enough to make your words trail off. 

"You're going to be late for work if you keep hanging around here listening to me talking about my shitty sleep patterns," you finally pressed, letting out a soft, faux chuckle. "I'll see you in the morning."