Billy Hargrove X Reader - You're Just A Boy

A/N - This chapter was inspired by the song You're Just A Boy (And I'm Kinda The Man) by Maisie Peters. I hope you all enjoy it. 

You had been sitting in the middle of your bed waiting on Billy for the last 2 hours. For a little while, you'd been able to occupy yourself with the same magazine you'd been flicking through repeatedly over the last couple of months, eyes scanning over the outdated gossip pieces without really absorbing them at all. Eventually, you'd grown bored of that, too, just sitting in the quiet of your bedroom, waiting.

It wasn't exactly a rare occurrence for Billy to be a little bit flakey. He didn't have fantastic impulse control and he tended to do whatever felt right in the moment. But in all honesty, you hadn't expected to spend your 3rd anniversary sitting on your own. You'd sort of hoped that this time, maybe, he would make the little extra effort. You'd hoped he would come home and make some small romantic gesture. Maybe flowers. Or chocolate. Or something. But once again, you'd only gotten your hopes up to be let down. 

When Billy had finally walked through the front door, almost 3 hours later than you had been expecting him, you were already certain of your decision. After all, you'd had long enough to think about it, sitting there as the sun escaped over the horizon and dusk settled in for the night. 

"Thought you'd be asleep by now, Babe," Billy hummed as he walked into the bedroom, crawling onto the bed to press a kiss to the side of your head. "What're you doing up?"

You hesitated for a moment, biting down on the inside of your cheek as you glanced up at him. You knew he could be good. Sometimes, he was the best boyfriend going. He could be sweet and affectionate and so gentle. But after 3 years of dating, you were starting to realise that sweet wasn't really enough to build a life together. Sweet didn't stop you from feeling insecure whenever you saw him playfully flirting with the girls from his work. Sweet didn't stop him from ditching you whenever he got a better offer. Sweet didn't do much of anything when you felt like you were totally stagnating in the relationship.

"Babe," he pressed, head tilting to the side slightly when you blinked back into reality, clearing your throat. 

"Sorry," you murmured softly. "I was waiting up for you," you added, finally answering his question. 

He chuckled, his nose wrinkling up slightly. "You didn't have to do that-"

"We were supposed to go out for dinner," you reminded him, interrupting him before he could finish his sentence. "For our anniversary." 

"Shit-"

"I told you this morning," you pressed on. "And I put that note in with your lunch." You paused, swallowing down the lump in your throat. "We've had a reservation at Enzo's for weeks."

"I'm sorry; I forgot, Sweetheart."

"You didn't even call," you uttered.

Billy watched with a small frown as you finally climbed off of your bed, walking past him towards the bathroom. "I forgot," he repeated, moving to lean in the doorway, watching as you started your nighttime routine. 

"Yeah," you murmured. 

"I did."

"I know. You always forget."

Billy hesitated for a moment, his eyes focused on your reflection in the mirror, his stomach turning over when you continued to avoid making eye contact. "Baby-"

"It's funny, isn't it?" you interrupted. "You forget my birthday and our anniversary and the plans we had with my family for the 4th of July," you pressed on, shaking your head in disbelief. "But I've never known you to forget when there's a game on or when you've made plans to go out drinking with the boys or-"

"I didn't mean to forget-"

"Then where were you?" you bit out, turning on your heel to glare at him. "What was so important that it made you forget about me?"

Billy opened his mouth as if he wanted to answer before thinking better of it. "I didn't mean to-"

"Where were you?"

"Some of the people from the office were going for drinks-"

"Who?"

"What is this? Some sort of interrogation?"

Your jaw tensed at his comment. "I wouldn't have to interrogate you if you didn't insist on ditching me again and again-"

"It was one time," he interjected. 

"It is all the fucking time," you finally bit, snapping at him without hesitation. "It is every fucking week when I'm here making dinner for you, even though I've worked all fucking day, and then you don't show up. It is every time we plan a date night and it gets delayed because of the boys or basketball or-"

"What the fuck is wrong with you tonight? Quit yelling at me and talk like an adult," he bit back, shaking his head in frustration.

You blinked in confusion. How on Earth was he trying to take the moral high ground when he was the one messing you around? How did he have the audacity to act as if you were in the wrong? 

"Me?" you uttered, letting out a sharp chuckle. "God, I love you but I can't fucking stand you sometimes, you know that?" You watched the pain flash over his face. "It's like you think you can do whatever you want and I'll just be here waiting for you, but I can't live like that, Billy." You paused for a moment. "Do you even love me?" 

"Of course, I-"

"Stop," you interrupted. "Don't just say it. Actually think about it for a second. Do you love me?"

Billy hesitated for a moment, swallowing down the lump in his throat. "I don't know." 

You nodded slightly. "Right," you murmured. "Then I think you know what's coming next." 

"Don't do this-"

"Do you want to do it or do you want me to?" 

"Baby, please."

You hesitated for just a second. "I know you aren't like this on purpose, Billy, but I can't live like this anymore."

"I love you-"

"We both know that isn't true. I love you, but I'm not sure you ever really loved me."

He hesitated for a moment, still standing in the doorway. "I did." He shook his head. "I do."

"I'm sorry, Billy."

Please consider supporting me for just £3 using Ko-Fi. The link is available on my profile page. If you have any questions about Ko-Fi please feel free to private message me. Thank you. L x