Billy Hargrove X Reader - Nice Girl

A/N - This chapter was inspired by the song Nice Girl by Ashnikko. This one is set a few years after all the Stranger Things series stuff, so they're all of legal drinking age. I hope you all enjoy it.

"What's a nice girl like you doing in a dump like this, huh?" a voice hummed, interrupting your thoughts as you stared into the distance, your eyes fixed on the signs on the wall behind the bar you were leaning against. You had known that when your friends had suggested meeting at the bar, you should've put up a bit of a fight. They were always late, every single time, and yet, you still hadn't learned your lesson, showing up dead on time and sitting by yourself in some shitty old bar. 

You released a heavy sigh as you glanced sideways to find a man standing beside you, grinning from ear to ear as you rolled your eyes at him. 

"I'm Tommy," he pressed on, holding his hand out in your direction, clearly unphased by your lack of interest. 

"I really don't care," you hummed, running your finger around the lip of your glass without even looking in his direction. The less interaction the better. It had always been the most effective method in the past. Make it clear that you don't want to talk and then ignore them until they took the hint. 

However, this time, it didn't seem to be so effective. Tommy leant on the bar, leaning closer to you so that he was in your field of vision, his jaw tight and his smile gone. "Come on, Sweetheart. No harm in being friendly, is there? Now, are you going to be nice?"

You finally turned your head, letting your eyes meet his, your expression stony. "Bite me," you uttered, watching as his expression shifted from inconvenienced to angry. 

"You little bitch," he started, straightening up to his full height, towering over you with your seated position. "You know, you're not hot enough to be acting like a total cunt."

"Dude," a voice interrupted, a hand slipping in to catch Tommy's shoulder, moving him back a step. "She's not interested; just let her enjoy her night."

Tommy was practically growling when he glanced between you and his friend before finally caving and moving away to the rest of their group, sitting in a booth on the other side of the bar. 

"I'm sorry about him," the guy continued, moving to sit on the stool beside you. "He's not normally like that," he pressed on, swallowing down the lump in his throat when you didn't answer him. "He's just gotten out of a real long-term relationship. Middle school sweetheart who it turns out had been cheating on him since college-"

"Oh, that's fine then," you uttered, shaking your head slightly at the excuses pouring out onto the bar. "He was cheated on, so he's allowed to harass whoever he wants," you pressed, finally glancing up at him with a raised eyebrow as if you were begging him to argue with you. 

He cleared his throat slightly. "I'm sorry he was being a dick. We're going to head out to another bar soon, so let me get your next drink before we go?"

"I don't take drinks off of strangers."

He hesitated again. "I'm Billy," he told you. "Once you tell me your name we won't be strangers anymore, right?"

You were staring at him as if he had grown a second head, your brows furrowed and mouth slightly open as you searched for an answer. And then you checked your watch, seeing that your friends were already half an hour late. With a soft sigh, you shrugged. "I'm Y/N," you told him. "I guess we aren't strangers now."

"Well, Y/N," Billy hummed, sending you a sweet smile. "What're you drinking?"

*Time Skip*

"So, she only told him about the affair because she got pregnant?" you murmured, shaking your head slightly. "What a bitch."

"You know the real kicker? If she had known for certain that the baby would look like her, she probably wouldn't have told him at all. But this guy she was seeing on the side had pretty distinctive features, you know? Would've been recognisable in no time." 

"I mean, he's still an asshole, but that sucks-"

"Yeah," Billy breathed out, glancing over to the booth in the corner, where your friends had merged with his, all chatting happily, merry with booze. "Looks like he'll get over it though, huh?" he pressed, nodding at where he was looking, letting you follow his gaze to find Tommy deep in conversation with one of your friends, grinning at her as if she hung the moon and stars. "You're friend isn't going to hurt him, right?"

You let out a small snort of laughter. "Funnily enough, I'm the only asshole in this little group," you told him. "Those girls wouldn't hurt a fly." 

Billy hesitated for a moment, his gaze wandering back to you, lingering on your face. "I don't think you're an asshole," he told you. "I think you're a nice girl deep down but you're trying to hide it for some reason." He shrugged slightly. "Like you think it makes you too vulnerable to be nice or something."

You're expression softened slightly for a moment, a small smile playing on your lips. You were pretty sure that no one had ever seen through the tough exterior so quickly before. No one had so effortlessly broken through the walls you put up and seen the real you behind them. "Or maybe, I'm even worse, deep down," you hummed, watching as his smile grew at your comment. 

"Maybe," he agreed softly. "I'd like to find out sometime if you'd let me."

Please consider supporting me for just £3 using Ko-Fi. The link is available on my profile page. If you have any questions about Ko-Fi please feel free to private message me. Thank you. L x