Eddie Munson X Reader - Figures (Part 2)

A/N - Hey hey hey! This chapter is a follow-up to the previous story in this book and was inspired by the song Happier Than Ever by Billie Eilish. I hope you all enjoy it.

You had hoped that after all of the issues Eddie had brought into your life, he would at least try to make your break up easy on you. You had assumed that maybe, given his inability to keep it in his pants, he would just let you go back to being single without kicking up a fuss. And sure, he'd been pretty well-behaved when the two of you were packing up his stuff to move him out of your apartment. And in the meeting with your landlord when you were taking him off of your lease. Hell, in the 5 years that you had been dating, you had never seen him act as calm and collected as he had been in the last few weeks.

You wished that you could say that it had helped, too. You wished that his pristine attitude change made you feel better. But, in reality, all it had done was break your heart further. This shift meant that Eddie was always capable of being a grown-up, he just hadn't ever cared enough to make that change for you when you needed him to.

So, you had pushed all thoughts of Eddie from your mind as effectively as possible. Not that it would ever be easy. He had been in your life since you were kids, long before he'd become your boyfriend. And you had always assumed that you would end up settled together. The idea of getting married and buying a house and having kids with someone other than Eddie was terrifying, and yet, you were working on making that your new reality. 

Whenever you thought about your wedding day to anyone but Eddie, you would remind yourself of his lack of loyalty. When you thought about having someone else's children, you would remind yourself of when he would stumble home at 3 in the morning, stinking of booze and overexcited from his gigs. When you thought about the home you were going to buy, you would remind yourself of the times you would clean up after him, like he was still a teenage boy living with his mother, rather than an adult man with his girlfriend.

You'd just tucked yourself into bed when your mind had begun wandering back to Eddie again, just over a month after you had first split. He really hadn't been a great boyfriend. Sure, he was affectionate and there had never been a time when you had doubted that he had loved you. But, the split had certainly been a long time coming and his infidelity had just been the final straw.

Your eyes had just drifted closed when there had been a knock at your front door, rousing you completely from your sleep. You stayed silent for a moment, listening intently, wondering whether you had imagined the sound. And there it was again, a thudding noise against the bulk of the door.

It truly sucked that, in moments like these, your first thought was Eddie. Sure, he'd never been a good boyfriend, but there was no doubt in your mind that having him here right now would make you feel safer. 

When you didn't immediately respond, the knock sounded a third time, followed by a voice that you would never cease to recognise.

"Baby," Eddie called out, his palm slapping against the door. "Baby, come on, open up," he called again, and you were scrambling out of your bed, hurrying across the hall to pull the front door open, looking so damn mad, that Eddie stumbled backwards slightly upon seeing your face. "Hey, Princess," he hummed softly, his brows lightly furrowed. 

"Eddie, it's the middle of the night," you whispered, poking your head out of the door to check that none of the neighbours were watching the two of you. "What are you doing here?"

He shrugged slightly. "Missed you," he murmured softly, his entire body lurching forward, the smell of booze hitting you smack in the face. 

"You're drunk-"

"I only had a couple," he corrected. "Just wanted to come and see you."

You swallowed down the lump in your throat, attempting to bite back the anger lingering on your tongue. "Yeah, well you scared me half to death. You can't just show up in the middle of the night-"

"What's there to be scared of, baby? I was just coming by to say hello," he grumbled, glancing over your shoulder into the apartment, silently asking for his invitation to come inside. 

"Go home, Ed."

There was a beat when he looked back to you; a moment of pure silence as he tried to make sense of what you were saying. "You don't want to see me?"

"I want to go to bed," you confirmed quietly. "I've got work in the morning."

"Yeah, but-"

"Eddie, this isn't fair. We aren't together anymore; you can't just show up at my door uninvited and expect me to welcome you with open arms." 

Eddie hesitated for a moment. "I just wanted to see you," he murmured. "I was at the Hideout and I finished my set and I couldn't stop thinking about you. Needed to come and see you."

"Next time, don't come," you told him, watching as his expression softened, looking so damn hurt that it almost made you feel guilty. Almost. "I don't want you showing up here like this, alright? Next time, just go home," you reiterated. 

He nodded slightly, swallowing around a lump in his throat as he did so. "Right, yeah," he uttered softly. "Yeah, I get it," he pressed on. "No more visits."

Your tongue dipped out to wet your bottom lip. "Thank you," you hummed. When he just stood there, looking at you for a moment, you shifted on the spot. "I've got to go back to bed."

"Oh, right," he mumbled. "Yeah," he pressed on. "Sleep tight," he added softly. 

"Bye, Ed," you hummed, watching as he walked down the hall, away from your apartment, before shutting the door behind him. 

Please consider supporting me for just £3 using Ko-Fi. The link is available on my profile page. If you have any questions about Ko-Fi please feel free to private message me. Thank you. L x