Steve Harrington X Reader - Disconnect

A/N - This chapter was inspired by the song Disconnect by Becky Hill and Chase & Status. It's set after the series, in the 90s, when Reader and Steve are both full-fledged adults. I hope you all enjoy it. 

It had been one of the worst kept secrets in your office that you were at the end of your tether. Since your favourite coworker had gone on maternity leave without anyone being hired to cover, and your manager had taken early retirement without a replacement, you had been buried in work. Day in and day out, you were working non-stop, from 8 AM all the way through until you were kicked out of the office at 9 PM, and even sometimes, when you could sneak in to get some extra work done on a weekend. 

It was stupid really. You were getting paid barely above minimum wage to do the work of three people and, honestly, you were holding on by a thread at this point. Of course, some of the other girls in the office had been trying to lighten the load. They took on extra work where they could. But it had barely made a dent in your workload. 

So, when one Friday, they had cornered you in the breakroom whilst you were making a coffee, with the proposition of one wild night out, you had been more enthusiastic than usual. You deserved to let your hair down. You deserved to be a bit irresponsible and drink a little more than was probably suggested. You deserved one night of fun in the middle of months of what bordered on psychological torture.

When you had all queued up outside of the club, however, you were beginning to wonder whether this was a good idea. These girls were coworkers. They'd never really seen you drink before. And if you did anything that was even borderline embarrassing, that would reflect pretty badly on you in the office for the rest of your career. 

One of the girls linked her arm through yours as you stepped into the club, the colourful lights painting a rainbow across her features as he walked you over to the bar, grinning at the bartender who had made a beeline to the two of you. You supposed that was normal for a girl like her. Petite and pretty and honestly so sweet that people could sense the good vibes coming from her without her ever having to say a word. 

"4 shots of tequila please," she called to the man, offering him the sweetest smile you had ever seen when he nodded his understanding, lining the shot glasses up in front of you. "This is going to be fun," she reassured you when she glanced in your direction to find you frowning slightly. "You've been so focused on work lately, I can't imagine you've had time to just disconnect and think about anything else," she pressed on, quickly paying the man behind the bar and sliding the first shot in your direction, lifting her own in salute. 

"Cheers," you grimaced, licking the salt from your hand before knocking back the shot and shoving the lime wedge into your mouth. You winced as the alcohol burned your throat. And before you knew it, she was placing another shot in your hand, following the same routine as the last as you knocked it back. 

The two of you had lingered at the bar a little longer, working your way through a handful of drinks until you could feel the buzz settling in. 

"You know, there's this guy at the end of the bar," your coworker told you, grinning to herself. "And he keeps checking you out."

You snorted softly, glancing over your shoulder to find a man looking in your direction. "I don't think so," you hummed back to her. "Think he's looking at you," you pressed on.

She shook her head slightly. "Nope," she responded softly. "I've been trying to make eye contact for like 5 minutes and he hasn't looked my way once. It's all you, Baby," she explained, letting out a soft chuckle. "You're single, right?"

"Yeah, but-"

"Then there's no harm in a little flirting, is there?" she interjected. "It's just a bit of fun. Maybe he'll even dance with you."

"I don't know," you murmured, frowning slightly. 

"Do you not think he's cute?"

Your brow furrowed. "Of course, he's cute. Look at him," you tutted, shaking your head. "I just don't do that sort of thing."

She shrugged slightly. "Well, he clearly thinks you're cute too," she hummed. "And today is a day for doing things we don't usually do, right? I mean, you never come out with us, but here you are, standing at the bar, looking so pretty that he can't take his eyes off of you. So please, do me this one favour, and just talk to him." 

You hesitated for a moment, reaching for the shot she'd placed in front of you and knocking it back quickly. "Wish me luck," you murmured. 

"You don't need luck," she called after you, grinning as you made your way down the bar to where the mystery stranger was standing. 

He looked a little startled when you stopped next to him, his eyes widening as he realised that you had, indeed, noticed him watching you. 

"Hi," you started softly, watching as his mouth opened and closed, looking for something to say. "So, my friend over there at the other end of the bar is pretty sure that you think I'm cute, and as mad as that might sound, she wasn't going to stop bothering me until I came over and talked to you, so-"

"I do think you're cute," he interrupted, causing your head to tip to the side as you tried to make sense of what he was saying. "You're so pretty," he pressed on, clearing his throat slightly. "I didn't mean to stare," he confessed. 

"Oh," you hummed, nodding slightly. "Wow."

"Sorry, I know it's totally creepy to just sit around watching pretty girls and their friends-"

"No, that's not-" you hesitated. "I just assumed you were staring at her, is all," you pressed on. "I didn't think it would actually be me."

His brow furrowed slightly. "You're kidding, right?"

"Well, no. I mean, look at her," you murmured, turning to look down the bar to where she was sitting, already making conversation with another of your coworkers. "She's so perfect."

"If you're into that sort of thing, sure," he hummed, offering up a tight lipped smile when you glanced back at him. "She's not my normal type," he added.

You snorted softly. "I'm pretty sure she's everyone's type-" You stopped, shaking your head. "Sorry, I never even asked your name," you breathed. 

"Steve," he told you, holding his hand out for you to shake. When you did so, silently, he raised an eyebrow at you. "You going to tell me yours?"

You swallowed down the lump in your throat, a small smile pulling at your lips. "Y/N," you told him, chuckling when his smile only grew.

"Pretty name for a pretty girl," he hummed, watching as you shook your head in disbelief. 

"You're smooth, you know that?"

He shrugged slightly. "Not as smooth as I used to be," he confessed. "You probably wouldn't believe it, from my performance here, but I was a real ladies man back in High School."

"Oh yeah?"

"Yeah," he snorted. "The girls were all clamouring for a chance to go out with Steve 'The Hair' Harrington back in the day," he chuckled. 

You nodded slightly. "I see," you teased lightly. "Lucky you survived, huh?"

He hummed out a soft agreement, nodding along with you. "Teenage girls are terrifying creatures," he told you.

"Don't I know it-"

"Let me buy you and drink," he interrupted. "Sorry," he pressed on, shaking his head slightly. "I just mean, please, will you sit and have a drink with me?"

You smile grew at the question, and then you had nodded, ever so slightly. "Yeah, I'd love to."

Please consider supporting me for just £3 using Ko-Fi. The link is available on my profile page. If you have any questions about Ko-Fi please feel free to private message me. Thank you. L x