Billy Hargrove X Reader - Let's Go Home Together

A/N - Hi guys. Sorry it's been a while, but I've been a busy little bee with a hell of a lot going on behind the scenes over the last couple of weeks and this is genuinely the first time I've had the mental and physical energy to put finger-to-keyboard. This chapter was inspired by the song Let's Go Home Together by Ella Henderson and Tom Grennan. In this one, Billy and Max are besties and actually get on with each other. I hope you all enjoy it.

You had convinced yourself, from the moment the flier had landed in your hand, that tonight was going to suck royally. I mean, you had never been overly keen on house parties in the first place, but the second you set it at Tommy H's house it became practically unbearable. Of course, when you're friends had practically begged for you to come with them, you had caved to their pleas. But now, sitting on your own on the back porch, staring out into the darkness whilst your friends all danced inside with their boyfriends, you were starting to wonder whether they would have even noticed if you hadn't shown up at all. 

You let out a soft sigh as you slumped back on the bench you'd claimed about a half-hour ago, letting your head fall back to stare up at the clear sky above you, the stars twinkling delicately in the night. 

"Are you good?" a voice uttered, causing you to jump as you attempted to right yourself, all too aware of being caught with your guard down by someone. 

"Jesus Christ," you muttered quietly, clearing your throat as your eyes landed on someone you truly hadn't been expecting. Hell, since Billy had come to Hawkins, you were pretty sure he hadn't ever said a word to you, but here he was, frowning down at you as tried to regain your composure. "I'm fine," you finally answered, forcing a small smile. 

"Yeah?" he murmured, raising an eyebrow at you, as if he was daring you to lie again. "You want me to get one of your friends or something?"

Your eyes widened at the question. "God, no," you bit out. "Please don't do that," you pressed on, shaking your head. 

"Trouble in paradise?" he murmured, moving a little closer to slouch onto the bench beside you, knees spread wide and arm flung over the back of the seat. 

"Nope."

He hummed softly, head tipping to the side as his eyes scanned your features. "What's wrong?" he finally asked, looking so damn sincere that it left you a little lost for words. You swallowed down the lump in your throat, your tongue darting out to wet your bottom lip. "You can just tell me to get fucked, if you don't want to answer," he prompted, drawing a soft snort of laughter out of you. 

"No, it's fine," you chuckled. "It's just that I didn't even want to come to this stupid party," you breathed out, pulling your legs up to tuck them under you. "But my friends were adamant that I had to come and that they would all miss me so much if I wasn't here." You shrugged slightly. "And then we walked through the door and they all split to go their separate ways and abandoned me in the middle of a bunch of people I barely even know. And not a single one of them has come looking for me."

Billy hesitated for a moment before releasing a gentle whistle. "That fucking sucks," he confessed quietly. "You need to get better friends, like, immediately." 

"Tell me about it," you murmured, letting out another soft sigh and dropping your head back, only for it to be cushioned by his arm in its comfortable resting point. "Sorry," you uttered, moving to sit up.

"Don't worry about it. I've been told I make a pretty great pillow," he teased, smiling softly at you when you let your head rest on him again. 

For a moment, you sat quietly, letting your eyes drop closed for just a second. "Who told you that?"

"Huh?"

"Who told you that you're a good pillow?"

He snorted softly. "Max. She's my baby sister - Step-sister - and she's in a constant state of half-asleep, so she's turned me into her own personal cushion a few times."

"That's cute," you hummed out. 

"Yeah," he agreed. "Well, I'm glad you think so," he confessed quietly. "How would you feel about coming inside with me?" 

Your brow furrowed rather suddenly, your head shooting up off of his arm. "What?"

His smile faltered at your reaction, his mouth dropping open. "Shit, I didn't mean it like that-" he paused for a moment, shaking his head. "I worded that badly. I was going to ask you to come inside and dance-"

"Oh-"

"Yeah." He swallowed down the lump in his throat. "So, what do you think? You want to dance with me?"

You hesitated for just a second, turning slightly to glance through the window behind you at the people inside. "I think I'm just going to stay out here," you told him, your eyes lingering on his for a moment too long.

"You mind if I stay out here with you?"

Your brow furrowed slightly. "You don't have to do that-"

"I know," he murmured. "But I'd quite like to... if you don't mind." 

You nodded. "I don't mind."

Your head had settled back onto his bicep a moment later, sitting a little closer to him than you had done before. "I actually hate parties like this," Billy confessed into the darkness, listening to the little hum that proved you were listening without having to say a word. "They're too crowded and loud. And the guys are just constantly trying to one-up each other." He hesitated for a moment. "It's nicer out here," he added softly, watching as a small smile pulled at the corner of your lips. 

"Yeah?"

He hummed his agreement. "Feels like this is so normal. Like I've known you forever."

"It's weird, right?" you murmured. 

"Yeah, I'm not like this with people, usually. Takes me a while to warm up to people I don't know."

"Me neither," you confessed.

He let out a soft chuckle. "Can I walk you home?" he finally blurted. "When you're ready to go, that is-"

"Yeah, I'd like it if you did."

Please consider supporting me for just £3 using Ko-Fi. The link is available on my profile page. If you have any questions about Ko-Fi please feel free to private message me. Thank you. L x