Eddie Munson X Reader - I Won't Say

A/N - This chapter was inspired by the song I Won't Say (I'm In Love) from the ever-wonderful Hercules. I hope you all enjoy it.

Family Video had been at it's most peaceful over the last few weeks. There was a noticeable lack of bickering between you and your coworkers. A higher tolerance for stupidity. A softness that had started to become confusing, and even a bit concerning, for Steve and Robin. 

After all, you were one of the easiest people to annoy that either of them had ever made. You had a shorter fuse than most. And right now, you're lack of snarky remarks was completely out of character. Hell, you'd bit Steve's head off for tiny stuff in the past, even if he was one of your closest friends, but now, it slipped straight past you like water off of a duck's back.

And really, there was only one explanation for your sudden personality change. A couple of months ago, when Eddie Munson had come in to rent some shitty horror movie for his weekly movie night with his friends, he had immediately switched on the flirting. And then, a couple of weeks later, he'd bumped into you at a party and the flirting had progressed. And now, suddenly, you were hanging out every weekend, at any chance you could. 

"So, are you and Eddie dating now?" Robin murmured one afternoon, breaking the silence in the backroom whilst you were all eating lunch and watching as your eyes widened at the question.

"Don't be ridiculous," you uttered, shaking your head in disbelief as you pushed your food around the little Tupperware on your lap. "I'm done with dating; you know that," you added softly, avoiding eye contact as your two friends watched you carefully. 

Steve cleared his throat slightly. "Yeah, but this is Eddie," he pressed. "You guys are great together."

"It doesn't matter that it's Eddie," you sighed, finally glancing up at them, finding them watching you like you were a science experiment. "There isn't a guy alive that's worth all the aggravation of dating."

Robin snorted at your comment, watching your eyes narrow into a glare. "Who do you think you're kidding?" she chuckled. "You can try and pretend all you want, but we see right through you, you know that."

"I'm not pretending-"

"I mean, you're walking around like you're floating on clouds-"

"I learned my lesson last time," you interjected, raising an eyebrow and waiting for them both to settle down. "It's always good at this stage, but that doesn't mean I should be dating Eddie, alright? I don't want to go down that route again, I'll just end up getting hurt."

Steve shook his head in disbelief. "But you've got it bad, right? You both have-"

"You're way off base-"

"You're an awful liar," Robin uttered, silencing you. "Just admit that you like the guy-"

"Get off my case," you bit back, snapping the lid back on your lunch and dropping it onto the tabletop. You were on your feet a second later, headed back to the front of the store.

"Y/N, come on-"

"I'm going for a walk," you bit out. "I'll be back before we have to reopen."

You were half a block over when you finally let out a soft sigh. God, those two could be like a dog with a bone when they got their mind set on something, and it was truly one of the most frustrating things in the world. 

And it was so stupid too. Eddie wasn't your boyfriend. And sure, maybe he was cute and funny and sweet, but that didn't mean that you should be falling head over heels in love with him the second he gave you a bit of attention. 

You hadn't realised where you were walking until you were standing outside the record store, your eyes widening when you looked up at the window to find Eddie grinning out at you from behind the counter, offering up a cute little wave. 

Shit. There was no pretending you didn't see him now, was there? You couldn't just turn tail and head back to work. So, instead, you pushed forward into the little shop.

"Hey there, Pretty Girl," Eddie called across the otherwise empty store, watching as you fought back the smile that immediately came to the surface at the pet name he'd coined for you. "Thought you were working," he pressed on, leaning forward across the counter when you approached. 

You shrugged slightly. "I'm on break," you hummed. "And Steve and Robin were driving me crazy."

"Yeah?" he murmured softly. "What'd they do?"

You hesitated for a moment. "They've got themselves convinced that we're dating and they just wouldn't stop bothering me about it."

Eddie's brow furrowed slightly. "I mean, we are dating, aren't we?" When you didn't immediately answer, Eddie seemed to panic slightly. "I know it's not official or anything, but you're always at the trailer and we go out on dates and stuff-"

"Shit," you breathed out, your mouth opening and closing as you searched for something else. 

"Did you not want to date me?"

"No," you started softly. "I mean, yes. I mean-" your words trailed off. "I don't know," you finally murmured. "I promised myself that I was taking a break from dating. It was too much work."

Eddie's head tipped to the side slightly, trying to make sense of your mutterings. "You're doing a pretty crap job of it, huh?" he teased quietly. "I mean, you've been dating me for like 2 months now," he added softly, smiling when you let out a choked snort of laughter. 

"Not on purpose."

"Pretty Girl, if you hadn't noticed you were dating me, then maybe there's no reason to avoid dating," he murmured. "Maybe, you were just dating the wrong guys before and that's why it was so difficult?" 

Your tongue dipped out to wet your bottom lip. "But it's always good at the start," you uttered. "In a couple of months, it'll start going the same way as everything else-"

"If you don't like me, then we can stop, alright? But if you do, then why not just keep doing what we're doing?" he asked softly. "I mean, it might stay good. You'll never know unless you stick around."

You nodded slightly. "Okay."

"Okay," he agreed quietly, watching as a small smile pulled at the corners of your lips. "See, this isn't so bad, is it? You came to visit me on your lunch break and the world didn't implode," he teased, grinning to himself when you rolled your eyes at him. 

"I've got to go back to work," you muttered, shaking your head as you made a move towards the exit.

"Have a good day, Pretty Girl," he called after you, chuckling when you put your middle finger up at him over your shoulder on your way out the door.

Please consider supporting me for just £3 using Ko-Fi. The link is available on my profile page. If you have any questions about Ko-Fi please feel free to private message me. Thank you. L x