Eddie Munson X Harrington!Reader - Angels Like You

A/N - This chapter was inspired by the song Angels Like You by Miley Cyrus. For this one, Reader is Steve's sister. I hope you all enjoy it. 

When you were first introduced to Eddie Munson, you'd known he was your type instantly. I mean, the edgy look had always appealed to you, much to your mother's disapproval, and you'd never met anyone who suited it better than Eddie did. So, that evening, when he'd asked for your number, you'd been more than happy to hand it over. And the next day, when he'd called, you'd practically fallen over yourself to say yes to a date. 

And now, here you were, 6 months in and finally realising that maybe Eddie wasn't as close to your usual type as you had first thought. Every ex you had ever had, you had known they were an asshole. They were avoidant and a bit mean and by the time the break-up finally happened, you were just happy to be free of them. 

But Eddie wasn't an asshole at all. He was actually one of the sweetest people you had ever met. Every date he'd ever taken you on, he'd shown up with flowers for you. He held the door open and told you how pretty you looked. He'd even gone as far as writing a couple of love songs about you, his feelings all romantic and pretty, even though it wasn't his usual style of music. And as lovely as all that was, it was only cementing that perhaps you weren't the right girl for him.

You had never been an overly affectionate person. In fact, you couldn't remember the last time you'd initiated a hug with anyone, let alone Eddie. And your family had never been the most vocal in their love for one another. You'd always found it hard to voice feelings and express yourself, especially in relationships. But Eddie deserved someone who could give him those things. He deserved someone who would scream their love from the rooftops the way he did. He deserved better than you. 

"Baby?" Eddie murmured, nudging your knee with his knuckles as he glanced over at you from the other side of the van. "You still with me?"

God, even now he was being far too sweet to you. It was like he could see the cogs turning in your head and he wanted nothing more than to help you slow it all down. 

You hummed softly, sitting up a little straighter in the passenger seat as he watched you from the corner of his eye. "Yeah," you murmured. "Sorry-"

"Don't apologise. Nothing wrong with getting lost in thought," he interrupted. He hesitated for a moment. "What were you thinking about?"

You swallowed down the lump in your throat, biting down on the inside of your cheek as tears began to form in your eyes. In the time you'd been together, Eddie had never seen you cry before. You were good at holding it in; saving it up until you were in the privacy of your room. But God, even thinking about having to break up with him was killing you inside. You really did love him, but deep down you knew you shouldn't keep holding him back from being someone else who could make him a whole world happier than he would ever be with you. 

"Baby?" he uttered again, finally looking at you properly, finding your bottom lip quivering as you tried to hold back a sob. "Fuck," he pressed on, immediately pulling the van to the side of the road to give you his full attention. "What's wrong?" he finally started, unhooking his seatbelt and shuffling a little further along the bench towards you. 

"Nothing-"

"Sweetheart," he breathed again, hesitating as he reached for you, and suddenly, it was like the dam had broken and the tears slipped from your eyes, making perfect tracks down your cheeks. 

A choked sob slipped through your lips, your hands balling into fists as you pressed them into your eyes, trying to force yourself back into one piece. "I'm sorry," you yelped, your voice all pitchy and awkward. 

"For what?" he uttered, so damn confused that normally it would've sent you into a fit of giggles. 

"I'm sorry I can't be what you need-"

"What are you talking about?" Eddie interrupted, gently peeling your hands away from your face, cradling them gently as he lowered them to your lap. "Sweetheart, I-"

"I wish I could be as good and loving as you, but I can't," you cried, finally letting your eyes land on his, lingering there for just a second before drifting away, settling on the trees lining the other side of the road. 

"I don't understand," Eddie murmured softly. "You're plenty loving-"

An awkward half-laugh slipped out of you at the comment, and you shook your head. "I can't even say it," you corrected. "I'm a shitty girlfriend-"

"Don't say that," he uttered, suddenly drawing your eyes to him, finding him looking a lot more stern than you were used to. "You are a fantastic girlfriend," he corrected. "And I don't need you to say it for me to know you feel it, alright?"

"But I-"

"I know you love me when you tease me about stupid shit. And because you come to every show I play. And when you show up with dinner when you know I haven't eaten." He shook his head slightly. "Just because we don't show love the same way doesn't mean you aren't doing it right."

Your heart stuttered in your chest, a fresh stream of tears trailing down your cheeks. "I-"

"And you don't have to say it if it doesn't feel right," he pressed on, his expression softening when you took his hand in yours, dragging it into your lap as you tightened your grip on his fingers. 

"I love you," you breathed out, the words followed by a soft sniffle.

A small smile pulled at his lips at your comment. "I know you do, Baby," he reminded you, leaning in to press a quick kiss to the side of your head. "I love you too."

Please consider supporting me for just £3 using Ko-Fi. The link is available on my profile page. If you have any questions about Ko-Fi please feel free to private message me. Thank you. L x