Eddie Munson X Reader - Stick Season

A/N - This chapter was inspired by the song Stick Season by Noah Kahan, which has been slowly tearing my heart to shreds since I first heard it. I hope you all enjoy it.

You tried to creep towards the front door of the trailer as quietly as possible, hoping to, for once in your life, get the chance to actually surprise your boyfriend. I mean, you'd gotten pretty close before. Jumping out from behind cupboard doors and under beds only for him to laugh at your half-hearted attempts. But no, this time you were definitely going to succeed. Hell, Eddie didn't even know you were in the state. In his mind, you were still halfway across the country in your dorm room.

You wrapped your hand around the door handle, taking a deep breath, a bright grin pulling at your lips. And then, you had launched your way into the room, screaming "Surprise," at the top of your lungs only to watch as Wayne leapt out of his skin.

"Jesus Christ," he bit out, only just managing to keep his coffee from spilling out of his mug. "What on God's green Earth-?" he pressed on, almost looking angry until his eyes landed on you, finally realising who had interrupted his otherwise peaceful evening. 

"Hi," you breathed out quietly, offering up a small, apologetic smile. "Is Eddie here?"

Wayne pushed himself to his feet, pulling you into a quick hug. "He told me you were going to be staying in Cambridge for Christmas-"

"I wanted to surprise him," you confessed quietly. "Sorry," you pressed on, looking so damn sheepish that Wayne snorted with laughter. 

He waved off your apology, shaking his head. "Just glad you're back. That boy of yours has been all mopey since you've been gone," he hummed, returning to his chair. "He's up the Hideout-"

"On a Friday?"

He shrugged slightly. "He's been trying out gigging without the boys, recently, what with them being off at college. Pete offered him a better spot after a while."

"That's incredible-"

"If you head out now, you should catch the end. Usually finishes up around 9."

You nodded slightly. "Thanks. I'll catch you later, Wayne."

The drive up to the Hideout was one you knew off by heart. Hell, you'd done it with Eddie in the van every Tuesday since you were 16. He'd always teased you for being his groupie, never missing a show, no matter what else you had going on. You'd missed it more than anything. Sure, the bar was a total dive with sticky floors and a musty smell lingering throughout, but it had been a second home for you guys in High School. 

You locked up the car and walked into the bar on autopilot, hesitating just inside the door, listening to the soft strumming of a guitar. This wasn't Eddie's normal music, but there was no mistaking that it was your boyfriend sitting on a bar stool up on stage, his voice echoing through the mic. 

"Now I am stuck between my anger and the blame that I can't face. And memories are something even smoking weed does not replace. And I am terrified of weather 'cause I see you when it rains. The doc told me to travel but there's no money for the planes."

You let yourself stay hidden in the shadows of the bar, listening as Eddie sang. You'd always thought he was an incredible singer, but this was different. His voice was so gentle and there was so much emotion in it. And God, his words sounded so sad, you didn't even know what to think.

"And I love Hawkins, but it's the season of the sticks. And I saw your mom, she forgot that I existed. And it's half my fault, but I just like to play the victim. I'll drink alcohol 'til my friends come home for Christmas. And I'll dream each night of some version of you that I might not have, but I did not lose. Now you're tire tracks and one pair of shoes and I'm split in half, but that'll have to do."

The tears that gathered in your eyes were a surprise. When Wayne had said Eddie was gigging, you'd expected metal covers, maybe some softer rock to keep the crowd on side, but definitely not this. Sure, he'd always made up little songs, singing them to you whilst you were all curled up in his bed, but there was so much power in these words that it was heartbreaking to even hear them.

When you'd been accepted to MIT, you'd never really thought about the fact that you wouldn't be the only person leaving. Gareth had gone off to Stanford. Jeff had gone to Duke. Dougie was at CalTech. And sure, he still had the younger kids, but it wasn't the same as having you guys around. You hadn't really thought about how difficult it would be for him, being left behind whilst you all ran off to live your lives. Hell, if he'd thought about it himself, he'd hidden it well. 

"So I thought that if I piled something good on all my bad. That I could cancel out the darkness I inherited from Dad. No, I am no longer funny 'cause I miss the way you laugh. You once called me forever now you still can't call me back." 

You swallowed down the lump in your throat, wiping uselessly at the tears, and finally moving a little further into the room, headed for the bar. And just as you reached it, Eddie's head had lifted, his eyes finding you and his fingers hitting a bum note before stopping their movements altogether. 

"Baby?" he murmured, brow furrowing in confusion. 

You lifted your hand, offering up a small wave, and within seconds, Eddie was taking off his guitar, ditching it as delicately as he could manage and jumping down from the stage in his determination to get to you. 

"What're you doing here?" 

"You've still got another 10 minutes of your set, Kid," the owner called over the bar. 

Eddie hesitated for a moment, his hands shifting to rest on your hip, drawing a small smile to your lips. "I'll do an extra set next week," he called back. "For free. But I'm done for tonight," he added, his hand lifting to cup your cheek as if he was checking you were real. "What're you doing here?" he repeated. 

"I wanted to surprise you," you murmured, leaning into his touch, a soft sigh slipping out of you. "I missed you."

He was leaning in a moment later, pressing his lips to yours in a deep kiss. As he pulled back, his forehead pressed to yours. "Thought you'd forgotten me," he hummed. 

"How would I forget you? You're the other half of me," you reminded him. "I'm sorry I haven't called as much as I said I would. Turns out college essays are really fuckin' hard and my roommate stopped paying the phone bills, so they cut our line, and-"

"It doesn't matter," he interrupted. "You're here now," he added softly, his fingers brushing lightly over your cheek. "Can't believe you actually managed to surprise me," he told you, a small smile pulling up the corners of his lips. 

You snorted with laughter, wrapping your arms around his middle, grinning up at him. "Knew I'd get you eventually," you chuckled as he leaned down to kiss you again. "I really missed you, Ed," you breathed against his lips. 

"I missed you too, Baby-"

"When I'm allowed to live off-campus next year, I want you to come and live with me," you started again. "Don't want to be this far apart anymore."

"Yeah?" You nodded slightly. "You don't think I'll be ruining your new, cool reputation?"

You chuckled, biting down on your bottom lip. "I would give anything to have you ruining my reputation," you teased, squealing when he poked you lightly in the side. "Please Ed," you pressed on. "I hate being this far apart all the time." 

"Let me talk to Wayne," he hummed. "Can't just agree to move halfway across the country without mentioning it to him first."

"Okay," you agreed softly, nodding your understanding. 

"I really have missed you, Baby," he confessed quietly. "Hawkins isn't the same without you."

"Yeah, well Cambridge isn't that great without you, either," you hummed. "Think we're just total saps?"

He snorted at your question, following it up with a quick nod. "No doubt, Baby. We're the sappiest people going."

Please consider supporting me for just £3 using Ko-Fi. The link is available on my profile page. If you have any questions about Ko-Fi please feel free to private message me. Thank you. L x