Eddie Munson X Soulmate!Reader - I'm With You

A/N - This chapter is set in a Soulmate AU where after turning 18 you can interact with your soulmate through your thoughts. It was inspired by the song I'm With You by Avril Lavigne, which I'm pretty sure I've used for an Eddie chapter before, but at this point, I've written so much fan fiction that it's getting hard to remember what I have or haven't done. I hope you all enjoy it.

The first time you had heard your soulmate had been on your 18th birthday. In fact, it was midnight on the dot, mere seconds into your actual birthday, and then suddenly, BAM. I could really go for a smoke right now. It wasn't exactly the most romantic thought you could've been blessed with, but you could hardly blame the guy. It wasn't like he knew that he was suddenly being eavesdropped on. He didn't know that today was the day that his soulmate would finally be able to start hearing him. It had been silent for a few moments after that, and then, something softer had come shuffling into your mind. Huh, happy birthday, I guess. The thought had made you snort with laughter, and from that moment on, you had been perfectly content with your soulmate constantly lingering in your mind with you. 

It had all been going pretty smoothly and the two of you were getting on like a house on fire. And then, one evening, whilst he'd been going through one of his deals, trying his hardest to think up stupid little jokes for you whilst he worked, things had completely changed. 

Holy Shit.

Your brow furrowed at the sudden energy shift. He sounded scared, more scared than that one time he'd almost got caught dealing by the Chief of Police. Ed? You thought, sitting up from your position lounging across your bed, waiting for him to say something else.

What the fuck? Jesus Fucking Christ. This can't be real-

Ed? What's going on?

There was another moment of silence that echoed around your mind. She's dead. I think she's dead.

What?

Chrissy. She's dead.

You hesitated for a moment, pulling your legs up closer to your body. Did she overdose?

No.

Then what happened? When he didn't immediately answer, your stomach had dropped. Did you do something?

What? No, I- his thought trailed off. I didn't touch her. I don't know what happened. She just lifted off the ground and- He went silent again. Everyone's going to think I killed her, aren't they? They'll think the freak finally snapped and murdered the nicest cheerleader going, won't they? 

Ed-

I don't know what to do.

You paused, swallowing down the lump in your throat. It's alright. I'm right here with you, okay? We'll figure it out. 

Thank you.

Ed, you need to leave. Put some distance between you and Chrissy quickly, before anyone finds her. 

Okay. I'm moving.

Don't drive, you added quickly. They'll be looking for the van. You'll be too easy to track.

Right, he told you, his voice shaking slightly. No van.

*Time Skip*

You'd listened to Eddie his whole trek through the woods, the local radio station playing softly in the background, listening out for any news that Chrissy's body had been found. He'd kept his thoughts private for most of the journey, only making small utterances about the chill in the air and you were starting to miss his usual constant muttering. After all, you'd been listening in to Eddie's thoughts for months now, and he'd never once kept them sheltered from you. 

Ed? 

Mhmm?

Are you okay?

He didn't answer for a moment, clearly considering his answer carefully. I'm pretty tired-

That's not what I meant, you interrupted. I mean, after what happened to Chrissy.

Oh. 

And then, silence. Utter, piercing silence, unlike anything you had heard since you'd first turned 18.

Ed?

Sorry, he answered quickly. I'm just trying to get my head straight. After another long pause, he finally let out a deep sigh. This is a mess. She just came over to buy and now she's dead on the floor of my living room. And I'm in the middle of the woods hoping that maybe the police won't accuse me of murdering her. And then to make things even better my only alibi is my soulmate who, let's be real, probably thinks I did it too.

I don't think you hurt Chrissy, Ed.

You don't?

No, I don't, you answered quietly. Do you want me to prove it?

What?

Do you want me to prove to you that I don't think you hurt Chrissy?

I don't understand-

Where are you? you interrupted. Right now, where are you?

There was another long moment of silence. Baby-

Ed, please. Just tell me where you are.

You know Reefer Rick's place? 

Yeah.

That's where I'm headed. Should be there in another half hour.

You nodded to yourself, shuffling off of the bed and grabbing a hoodie from your cupboard. I'll be there soon, alright?

Sweetheart, you don't have to-

I'll be there, you reiterated a little more firmly. 

*Time Skip*

When you pulled up to Reefer Rick's place, the little house had been pitch black and a little intimidating. You hesitated for a moment. Sure, you trusted Eddie. You didn't think he'd hurt Chrissy. But that didn't make walking onto a stranger's property alone in the middle of the night any less terrifying. 

Ed?

Hey, Sweetheart.

I just pulled up.

There were a couple of moments of silence, and then, you'd seen the door of the boat shed, illuminated by the moonlight, shift open, Eddie's head peering around them as if to check that it really was you before coming out. And then, he was hurrying towards you, letting out a soft sigh when you'd climbed out of the car to meet him.

He'd had you wrapped up in a hug the second you were within arms reach, his grip a little tighter than you were used to. 

"Hi," you murmured against him, pulling back slightly to look up into his face. His eyes were red from what you could only assume was a hell of a lot of crying, and he was paler than usual, still a little caught up in the shock of what had happened. "I know you didn't hurt her," you told him, keeping your voice as level as you could manage, giving him no chance at arguing with you. "And I'm here now, alright? We'll figure this out together."

"Thank you," he murmured, pulling you even closer to press his face into your neck, taking a deep, steadying breath. 

Please consider supporting me for just £3 using Ko-Fi. The link is available on my profile page. If you have any questions about Ko-Fi please feel free to private message me. Thank you. L x