Steve Harrington X Reader - Run

A/N - This chapter was inspired by the song Run by Maisie Peters. If you haven't already, I would highly recommend listening to her new album The Good Witch, because it's so fucking good! For this one, Reader works at Home Video with Steve and Robin. I hope you all enjoy it.

"God," you grumbled, wincing as you stared at the cover of some cheesy romance movie that you knew a ton of girls would end up renting out in the next couple of weeks. "These things are so unrealistic," you pressed on, letting it clatter back to the counter as Robin snorted with laughter. "I'm not kidding," you added, shaking your head in frustration. "Some guy falls in love at first sight, some sort of tragedy ensues, happy ending. It just doesn't happen."

Robin bit back a smile as she lifted the box, turning it over to look at the blurb on the back. "First Dance; First Love; The Time of Your Life," she hummed, scanning over the back. "I mean, it's not my thing, but-"

"It's stupid. No one just falls in love at the drop of a hat," you interrupted. "God, if some guy was claiming to be in love with me within a couple of weeks of meeting me, I'd be running in the opposite direction."

"But-"

"It's the biggest flashing danger sign going," you pressed on, shaking your head. "No one falls in love that quickly; they're clearly lying about it. And I'd be damned if I allowed myself to date a liar."

A snort of laughter coming from the other side of the building caused your head to shoot up, finding Steve shaking his head in disbelief as he restocked the shelves. 

"What?" you bit out, watching as his head twisted to look at you, a small smirk still playing on his lips as he held up his hands in surrender. 

"Nothing-"

"What's so funny?"

He hesitated for a moment. "I just think it's a little silly that you think a guy being hopelessly in love with you is a bad thing," he murmured, shrugging slightly. "When you know, you know, right? What does it matter if it's only been a couple of weeks?"

"How long have you known me?" Steve's brow furrowed slightly, confusion painting his features. "Come on, it's been, what? Two years?" 

He shrugged slightly. "Yeah, two years sounds right," he finally agreed. 

"What's my middle name?" 

Steve stuttered slightly, his mouth opening and closing as he searched for the answer. 

"Okay, we'll go a little easier. What's my star sign?" you pressed on, raising an eyebrow when he glanced over to Robin for help, only for her to immediately avert her eyes, unwilling to be drawn back into the conversation. "Even easier. How many siblings do I have?"

Steve swallowed around the lump in his throat. "I don't know."

"Right," you confirmed quietly. "You've known me for 2 years and you know almost nothing about me; so how is some guy I've known for a couple of weeks going to know me well enough to actually love me?"

"I know how you take your coffee," Steve finally uttered, his voice a little lower than it had been. "And your favourite colour. And your birthday." He hesitated for a moment. "I know what movies you love and which ones you hate. I know what foods make you feel grim just from the smell alone." 

"That's not the point-"

"You don't get to tell people how they feel about you," he pressed on. "Just because I don't know whether you're an Aries or a Cancer or a Leo or whatever doesn't mean I don't love you."

Your stomach dropped as the words registered, your eyes widening at his effortless confession. 

"And just because you're too scared of getting hurt to actually let someone love you properly doesn't mean that I'm going to stop," he uttered, watching your expression soften slightly. 

"Steve-"

"It's fine," he interrupted. "I know you well enough by now to know that I don't stand a chance, alright? We don't have to talk about it."

You swallowed around the lump in your throat, waiting patiently as Robin muttered some excuse about needing to go out back, leaving the two of you alone. 

"Am I really such a shitty person that you think I couldn't love you too?" you murmured, biting down on the inside of your cheek. "I know I'm not exactly the most open person, but-"

"You aren't a shitty person," he interjected. "You're incredible; you just don't like yourself enough to see it." 

You nodded, clearing your throat. "I like you, Steve," you started again. "I do, but every single part of me is telling me to run the other way."

"Right-"

"Because I really like you, Steve," you pressed on. "And that's terrifying because if I let you in then you could actually hurt me." 

He hesitated for a moment, his tongue darting out to wet his bottom lip. "I don't intend on hurting you," he reminded you gently. 

You let out a soft chuckle. "I don't think anyone intends on hurting people, but it happens."

"So, you're going to risk missing out on being happy because you don't want to chance getting hurt?"

You glanced down at your hands, your fingers tangled together in front of you. "I don't know."

He nodded. "Alright, well, when you make that decision, let me know, okay? Because if you decide to take the risk, I'd like to take you out sometime." 

"You'll be the first to know. I promise." 

Please consider supporting me for just £3 using Ko-Fi. The link is available on my profile page. If you have any questions about Ko-Fi please feel free to private message me. Thank you. L x