Howling in the dark

For the next few minutes, loud and agonizing howls filled the air, carried away by the strong wind. They never seemed to end or grow weaker, quieter. They were like cries of a child but with a higher pitch, like a man mieć somewhere win between.
For the first time in years, Tommy thanked god for people's ignorance and the fact that they preferred to stay away from any suspicious sounds and instead carry on with their lives. And while he sat back quietly, observing the scenery in front of him and looking out for any sudden movements, Hawks seemed like he was on the verge of having a mental break down. With the way his eyes ere open wide, his lips pressed into a thin life and finger shaking, it obvious that he was not only confused but also panicked. The advantage that put Tommy in the better place wad the fact that he had dealt with Phantoms many times before and he simply grew used to their annoying screams. Hawks on the other hand was dealing with something like this for the first time so Tommy wasn't really taken back by his surprise.

"So.. what do we do?" Hawks asked in a hushed voice, fingers gripping the edge of the roof they were on.

Tommy shrugged, never letting his eyes pose the figure that was hiding in the shadows. He was able to catch a glimpse of them and it was already hard to keep an eye on them. They weren't moving but they wouldn't be visible for a human eye.

"I'm not sure, I never tried to approach them or become their target. If I did somehow manage to catch their attention, I would simply kill them right there and then." Tommy said, before noting the way Hawks flinched in the corner of his eye. "But since you're not fond of that perticular scenario, I guess we will have to come up with a plan"

Hawks silently thanked everyone who listened to him, before his attention switched to the shadows. He easily spotted the target, his eyes were sharper and better than Tommy's since a part of him was a hawk.

"Well?"

Tommy glanced at him, before silently cursing him out and turning his head back to look for the figure. His eyes trailed left and right, trying to spot the outlines of a tall figure.

"Aren't you supposed to come up with a plan? You're the Professional one after all" Tommy chimed in, before adding. "We can try to make our way closer and one of us will ty to distract them. That way, the other one will have higher chances of easily capturing the target and hopefully not get his ass kicked"

Hawks shook his head. Of course he was the Pro Hero, but since it was Tommy's practice they were going to go on with his plan. It was a good time to test his quick thinking and strategies.

"Well then, let's do it" Hawks said, slowly raising to his feet but still low on the ground.

Tommy followed him, but decided against flying down and opted on slipping down from the roof. While Hawks took off in the sky silently, Tommy pulled himself forward and gripped the edge tighter, fingers dodging into the hard concrete. With his wings tucked in, he threw his legs over the edge and hoisted himself in the air, before glancing in the same direction where their target was still standing. Slowly,be lowered himself until he could find a steady piece of concrete that was sticking out enough for him to balance his weight. Once his shoe found the perfect spot, his hands traveled down along with the wall and gripped onto another edge. This way, he slowly made his way down until he was half down.
His body froze and he pressed his face close to the cold wall when he heard a soft clank.

Fuck, he thought. He glanced down at the two bottles attached to his belt, both swinging a little and clashing with each other. The avian took a deep breath in, his eyes trailing in the direction where the was looking before. The howls were silent now, the shadows not moving an inch. He was hoping they didn't hear his mistake and instead carried in with their screaming.
But as always, life had in plans to fuck him up even more.
The second he through he was safe and tried to place his shoe on the next edge, something whished next to his face. As he blinked, his eyes widened and teeth clenched. He watched his reflection in the small knife that was inches from his face, it's blade hallway stuck in the walls.
He didn't dare to look back. It only made sense when the blade was pulled back from its place, a deep hole left behind. He flinched at the sudden movement, head moving to stare right at the shadows. He stared hard, eyes narrowed to block out any light that could blind him and quickly scammed the place.
Nothing.