My Mother

I sat quietly on my bed listening to my mothers soft singing voice as she slowly sang her lullaby she used when I had nightmares. I hugged my teddy bear tightly as my eyes became heavy. Her beautiful brown hair was pulled into a bun and she wore a blue t-shirt with black sweatpants. Her smile was kind and loving. She wasn't very tall for being 23. Her singing voice was soft and sweet almost like a girl version of Chris's voice. I slowly drifted to sleep as I felt her kiss my forehead and say "goodnight" before she left the room. My real father was never home. He was always out with his friends. So I spent most of my time with my mom. Aubrey. Aubrey was her name.

I sat up in bed remembering the memory I had of my mother. It was probably the best memory I had of her. I climbed out of bed. I missed East who was always curled up at my feet or laying right beside me. I slowly tip toed down the hallway towards my dad's room. He was probably sleeping quietly. I pushed open the door slowly seeing he wasn't even in bed. The light wasn't even on. The only light on was the lamp beside his bed. I was about to walk back to my room but when I turned around I slammed my face into my fathers chest. "Hello" I said looking up at him.
"What's wrong? You rarely come in here at night" he said.
"Just had a dream" I said about to squeeze past him but he caught my arm.
"About what?" He asked kindly.
"About my mom" I said I could feel tears begging to spill.
"Do you want to talk about it?" He asked.
"That would be nice" I answered as we walked into the room and he moved the covers and we climbed in.
"Well it was a memory of when I had a nightmare when I was 3. She had come into my room seeing if I was okay. She sang this lullaby that I can't get out of my head" I said.
"What was the lullaby?" He asked as I rested my head on the soft pillow.
"I know it was a disney song" I said, "I don't know the lyrics. She normally just hummed it softly."
"Can you hum it?" He asked, "I might be able to tell what song it is."
"Okay" I said as I slowly started to hum the song.
"I know exactly what it is" he said smiling.
"You do?" I asked turning my head to look at him.
Baby mine, don't you cry.
Baby mine, dry your eyes.
Rest your head close to my heart,
Never to part,
Baby of mine.
Little one, when you play;
Don't you mind what they say.
Let those eyes sparkle and shine,
Never a tear,
Baby of mine.
If they knew sweet little you
They'd end up loving you too.
All those same people who scold you;
What they'd give just for the right to hold you.
Chris stopped singing. "Baby of Mine from Dumbo" he said smiling.
"That's it!" I said smiling.
"Come on get some rest I bet you're tired" he said as I covered myself with the covers and snuggled into his side, "Night." He kissed my forehead and I fell asleep.