50: Reunite

___________________

50: Reunite

"I'll see you later baby girl. I miss and love you so much," I kiss her through my phone. From my point of view, I see her look forward, checking if there's anyone around I'm assuming, "I love you," she sends me a flying kiss, her smile illuminating on my screen. I pretend to snatch her kiss with my hand, "I caught it." She giggles, "You're insane."

I laugh for a moment, but then immediately try to suppress my laughter, "I know," I wiggle my eyebrows, "For you." I wink, causing her to erupt with smiles, and she shakes her head. Ever since I woke up from my coma, it seems that Lara and I have gotten closer. It's funny because we're getting cheesy, but if it gets her to smile, I'm all for it.

"I'll call you later - maybe before or after the performance," she voices out. I really don't want to hang up, especially with our short-lived conversation, but I know she needs to prepare for her performance, and I don't want to distract her while fixing her costumes. "Alright, baby girl. I'll see you soon," she nods, saying she'll call me later before hanging up.

I prop myself up on the couch and look out the window right as I hear the line end. The sky is pale white - grey cotton balls scattered in the air, contrasted with pastel navy mountains sprinkled with white powder. The snow isn't as bad as I expected it to be. I unravel the scarf from my neck, realizing the heater inside this hotel room makes me feel like I'm California. It was a long night traveling here, but I'm glad I got here before my usual morning call with Lara. It wouldn't be a surprise if she found out I was at the airport when I answered her video call.

I'm currently on the 19th floor in Tower 3: the Crow's Nest Suite, in the Hotel Captain Cook. I booked this place a while back, deciding I was going to visit her over winter break even though we had no way of communicating in July. Winter break doesn't start till next week, but since her dance performance is this week, I wanted to make sure I'm here. I haven't seen her dance - well, at least not in a choreographed manner, so that's something I can't miss.

Standing up, I see the buildings surrounding this hotel - they're not as large as the ones in California, but I mean - this is downtown Anchorage. The hotel I'm staying at is one of the most known here in Alaska, except for one I searched up, but it's about a two hour drive going to that hotel to where Lara is at, so I rather be here. This is about ten minutes away from her school, and I know that's where her performance is going to be at.

I walk towards my open suitcase, grabbing my maroon leather jacket. As I place my arms through the sleeves, I think about seeing Lara for the first time in months. I still remember the first time we met, and I'm so glad I was almost late that day for that very reason.

Fuck, I'm gonna be late. I rush on the paved ground, holding onto my backpack while I check the time on my phone. I'm gonna be late if I'm not there in ten minutes.

I overslept - out of all days, I overslept today. I don't even understand how it happened - I set up an alarm and actually knocked out before 11. As soon as I remove my eyes from my phone, I realize it's too late to dodge the person right in front of me. She hits my chest, causing my head to fall forward and my sunglasses to fall. Immediately, I try taking my glasses in order to hurry up, but instead, she picks them up for me. "Oh my gosh! I'm so sor -" I stand up straight, seeing that this person is a few inches shorter than me, almost to my chin, "Don't worry about it. It was my fault," I smile, taking  in her appearance as I take hold of her hands while feeling a spark at the tip of my fingers as soon as I feel her skin. Her eyes meet mine for a moment, the sun reflecting against hers.