12: Cup

Chapter 12: Cup

*
Point of View: Jake T. Austin
*

It's been about fifteen minutes since Aubrey called.

My phone rings in my pocket, and I fidget in order to get it without waking Lara. I check the caller ID. "Hello, Ms. Lea - I mean Auntie."

"I'm just checking up on you and Lara. She's with you, right?" I hear her calm and soothing voice.

"Yes, auntie. Everything is perfectly fine," I say as I glance at Lara still fast asleep.

Geez, this girl can sleep. "Oh, okay. Well, Call if there's any trouble, okay? Aubrey told me that you all are going out, make sure Lara is safe."

"Yes auntie. I'll call and I'll keep her safe," I say as I smile glued on to my face at the fact she trusts me with her niece.

"Okay. Bye-bye!" She hangs up the phone, and I lean my head against the couch. Before I could close my eyes, I hear a knock on my door. Instead of answering, I speak in a firm voice, "It's open. Come in."

Aubrey bursts the door open. "Tell. Me. Now," she clearly enunciates.

I put a finger to my mouth, "Shhhh, she's still sleeping."

"Babe, I told you she was still asleep!" Austin says as he enters my trailer. "Shhhhh," I point my fingers at the legs that were trapping me on the couch.

I see Aubrey take out her phone and snap a picture with the flash. "Totally showing this when she's conscious," she laughs as she clicks a few more pictures. She puts her phone away, and Austin speaks.

"Jake, don't you have something to say?" He raises his eyebrows and stares right at me.

"Not now," my eyes widen, "What if -"

"What if what?" Aubrey crosses her arms seeming like she's becoming impatient. She starts to approach the couch and I feel myself tense up.

"Cover your ears," Aubrey says in a whisper. I look at Austin and see him nod.

I look at Aubrey who's kneeling next to Lara's head, and before I could cover my ears, she screams.

"Lara Marian Estrada! Get up! You're late!"

I flinch.

Lara falls off the couch onto her head and she moans, "Mom, I was doing homework. Come on, mom."

I get up right away, but before I could help Lara out, Aubrey holds out her hand for me to halt, "Wait for it." Aubrey has a devious smile on her face.

She lays on the floor for a few moments and feels the floor beneath her. She goes onto her knees and squints, trying to adjust her eyes to the brightness of the room. Her hair is messed up and it covers half of her face, "Wait a minute, OH MY GOSH!"

She covers her face and gets up and turns to my direction. I start to back away, but before I could get out of her way, she bumps into me and I grab her before she could fall back down.

*
Point of View: Marian Lara Estrada
*

"Lara Marian Estrada! Get up! You're late!"

Ow. My ears! Why mom, why. I don't get enough sleep and you had to scream in my ears and make me fall off the couch.

"Mom, I was doing homework. Come on, mom," I seem to moan out.

I lay back on the floor.

Wait a minute. Couch. I was on the couch?