11: Sand

_________________________________

Chapter 11: Sand

"Auntie, don't you think this is see-through?" I ask my aunt for the fifth time while grasping the hem of the baby pink shirt she bought me.

"Lara! Calm down! You're at the beach, you're gonna get splashed; it's fine if it's see-through!" She replies back in annoyance.

"Sorry, auntie, I'm just not use to wearing stuff like this," I reply in a quiet voice. "It's fine, dear. You look good!" She says in a cheerful voice while looking at the outfit she picked out from one of the outlets.

My new outfit: a pink shirt and blue jean shorts - under that, a red two piece swimsuit.

"But Auntie-"

"Marian Lara Estrada! No but's. You look fine. Live a little," she says crossing her arms while holding a plastic bag with my clothes from earlier.

"Okay, auntie..." I say in defeat. Geez, she's so demanding of me.

It's about 4:30 now, and we return to the part of the beach where "The Fosters" is shooting with drinks for the cast. I drank mine on the walk back, so I didn't have one anymore.

"And scene!" The director raises his hands and waves them in the air. "Okay, it's lunch time. You all have an hour and fifteen!"

I see Jake clap his hands, "Nice scene, everyone!" He, then, walks over to the snack table that was prepared earlier. I grab one of the drinks and run over to him.

"Jake! I got you a drink!" I wave at him and a smile instantly curves upon his cheeks. I pass him the strawberry-pineapple smoothie, "Thanks, Lara," he nods and continues to gulp it down.

"Hey, is there one for me, too?" I turn around and see David looking at me.

"Oh, let me get it, it's with my auntie!" I jog over and get another smoothie. "Here you go!" I smile slightly.

"Thanks," he says taking a sip, "Don't you have a smoothie?"

"Oh, I already drank mine while walking back," I laugh and look at both Jake and David.

"Do you wanna hang out right now?" David asks right away.

"Oh, that sounds -" before I could say great, Jake interrupts, "Uhm, we were gonna go get lunch, David. You can come if you want, but -"

"Sounds great. Where we headed?" David says right away before Jake could finish his sentence.

I look at Jake and see his jaw clench. He releases it and speaks, "I don't know. Somewhere nearby, I mean, we still have that scene later."

What scene? The intense one?

"Uhm, Jake... What's the scene? My aunt won't tell me and I really want to know," I question in a lighter tone.

He comes close to my ear, "It's a secret, but you'll find out later." I pout and he smiles.

"Let's go. We only have an hour and five minutes left," Jake says looking at his watch.

****

"Aubrey, your shift is right now?" I ask leaning towards the bar. I was surprised when Jake, David, and I walked in 'cause she's the one who greeted us.

"I'm setting up for later; I didn't know you're gonna be at the beach today. You told me you're gonna be at the studio," she says sternly, "And now I see you with Jake and David."

I look at her and see that her stern face morphed into a sly smile. "Don't give me that look! They told me to come with them!" I defend myself and push her playfully.

"Jake and Lara sitting in a tree-" she whispers while laughing.

Jake approaches Aubrey and I from the booth him and David were at, "Can we order now? David over there is pretty hungry," he laughs and points at David in a secretive manner. I look at Aubrey, and she takes her pen and paper, walking with us to the booth. I sit right across from Jake and David.

Aubrey takes our orders and returns with them ten minutes later. We eat quickly and chat amongst ourselves, and then pay the bill.

"See you later, Aubrey!" I wave goodbye as I exit with Jake and David.

"Bye, have fun!" I see her wink and walk to the bar area.

******

*Five minutes later*

"Well, we have 30 minutes; do you want to go in the water?" Jake asks while using his thumb to point out the water behind him while looking at his watch on his other arm.

"Uhm, are you allowed to get wet? Isn't it bad since you're filming?" I question, I don't want to get in trouble for making him go into the water.

David interrupts, "Hey guys, I'm gonna go to my trailer. Ms. Lea is gonna start my makeup."

Jake replies, "Good luck!" He smiles at David who shakes his head.

"I'm going to look amazing, I don't need luck."

What's this scene?

"Bye, David!" I smile and wave as he departed from our sight.

"Let's go?" Jake looks at me. "Go where?" I ask. "Let's go swimming," he smiles.
"But I'm not a swimmer, and -" "The water, we go!" He suddenly grabs my arm and picks me off the ground bridal style. He runs towards the water and stands in approximately two feet of water in depth.

"Jake, Jake, don't you dare drop me in the water! Jake, Jake!" He laughs as he pretends to drop me.

"Jake, no! I don't want to, Jake!" I start smiling even though I'm trying to keep my serious face on. "You're slipping from my grip, Lara; oh no!" He fools around.

He moves a step back in order to go deeper into the water, and he slips.

SPLASH.

I sit up and my hair and clothes are soaking wet. "Jake!" I splash him with water. "You did this!" I laugh as I splash him with a bunch of water.

"Agh," he spits some water out, "Stop splashing me," he shields himself from the splashes. I stop, thinking that he really wanted me to stop.

"Gotcha," he grins with his teeth out and starts splashing me with larger waves of water. He stands up and creates more waves.

After twenty minutes, me and Jake get out of the water soaking wet. "Jake, oh my gosh." I take off my pink shirt and squeeze the water out.

His smile appears on his face, "Don't worry so much."

"Jake!" A voice says behind me. Oh no, am I getting him in trouble? Am I in trouble? Oh no....

"Good, you're wet for the intense scene already," I turn around and see Bianca in jeans and a t-shirt.

"How come you're not in a swimsuit?" I ask her. "I'm not part of the scene. I'm actually leaving now because I need to pick up my dress at the dry cleaners." She replies back. "Why are you soaking wet as well?"

"Oh, okay," I say quickly, "And uh.. It's Jake's fault." I smile and point my finger at him. Bianca smiles and stares at Jake right after. "Jake, the scene is starting in 6 minutes, good luck!"

Jake replies saying thank you. "Well, I better be going now! Bye!" She hugs Jake, and then me. She waves and runs out of our sight.

"Well, I guess it's time to do the scene," Jake says looking at his watch. He starts walking and I follow behind him. We reach the place where the scene is about to occur. I see my aunt squeezing some liquid onto Cierra's face. As I approach her, I see the liquid is artificial water that won't come off. After that, Auntie puts fake blood pouring out of the corner of Cierra's forehead.

"What's this scene about?" My eyes widen and I see Cierra look at me.

"Don't worry, it's just an intense scene, but I'll be fine later in the story," she smiles and holds up her mirror. I hate the sight of blood, so I turn around. David bumps into me, and I see that he has bruises on the side of his body and some seaweed on his shoulders.

"What happened to you? Why are you bruised up?!" I look at him in panic. "Easy, girl. It's for the scene," he holds my shoulders and I see the artificial water on his body, too.

Maia Mitchell walks towards us and smiles. "You're getting that beat up for me?" She smiles at David then looks at me, "I'm sorry. I haven't seen you before, my name is Maia. The one who plays Callie." "My name is Lara," I shake her hand. "Nice to meet you," she smiles, "Well, we're gonna start the scene soon, so just sit down!" She takes David's arm and runs with him.

******

Scene 53 was intense. Geez. I continue to watch and see that they're not done filming. A few takes later...

"Scene 54, Take 5," the guy with the block thing said, "And action!"

I see Jesus carrying Marianna out of the water. "Mom, Mom!" He screams.

"Jesus, what happened?" Lena and Stef run up to him with panic in their eyes.

Jesus replies, "I told her not to go to the deep end, but she wouldn't listen to me, and -"

I see his jaw clench and his eyes mourn, "Her leg got caught on seaweed, and she slipped through the waves and slammed her head on this huge rock."

"We need to call 9-1-1!" Lena screams to Stef. "I'm already on it."

The lifeguard runs towards Marianna, and Marianna lays still on the warm sand, I see her hands twitching. Jesus is right next to his sister's head and asks the guard, "Dude, you know CPR right? My sister will be fine?"

"Stand back," the guard says. The guy falsely does CPR from my angle, and Marianna coughs up some water, but she still remained 'unconscious.'

So that's how actors work.

"The ambulance is coming, is she breathing? She's going to be fine, right?" Lena breathes in and out rapidly.

"Mom, she'll be fine. She has to," Jesus ruffles his hair and shows a worried expression on his face.

"Cut!" The director says out of nowhere. "That was an amazing take. Now let's begin Callie and Brandon's shot." He points to another part of the beach and shifts his chair. I look at what's going on, and see Brandon surrounded by men about his age. Callie is grabbed by this guy, and her arms are not free.

Before I could continue watching, Jake stands right next to me. "How'd I do?"

I jump, "Oh it's you. You scared me; well, I guess you did well."

"You guess?" He seemed offended by my word choice.

"Yea," I say without any emotion, "Why?"

"You're messing with me," he smiles. "How?" I question falsely knowing that he did better than I said.

He stares at his watch, "It's about a quarter before eight, do you wanna walk around with me?"

"I guess," I smile and push him playfully onto the sand. I lend my hand, and he takes it, but instead of me pulling him up, he pulls me down instead.

I fall on top of him, "I'm sorry," I say getting up and wiping the sand off my jeans and stomach. He gets up right away, "It's fine. Let's go to my trailer. I want to get a shirt. The sand itches."

"Okay," I say. He starts walking towards the trailers, and I follow about eight feet behind. He slows his pacing, so he could walk beside me.

"You're so slow," he says to me. "What's the hurry?" I ask him.

"Nothing," he shakes his head and smiles. "It's just that it seems like you're trying to be distant from me."

*
Point of View: Jake T. Austin
*

"It's just that it seems like you're trying to be distant from me," I tell her.

She immediately shakes her head, "No! Of course not," she bites her lip and continues, "I'm just tired. That's all."

I raise my eyebrows, "You sure about that?" She nods and looks forward. "Where is your trailer?"

"We're almost there," I tell her as I lead the way. After a few minutes, I see my trailer. "There it is!"

I race towards the door and open it, waiting for Lara to approach. Her eyes seemed like they were getting heavy. She must've not gotten enough sleep.

"Lara?" I speak softly from my door. She looks up and uses her right hand to fix her hair, "Yea?" It seems like she's forcing her eyes to open. "Come inside and make yourself comfortable on the couch," I say gesturing my hands to tell her to go inside.

She smiles and walks over and comes inside. I close the door.

"I'll just change my clothes and we'll get going," I say, "Make yourself comfortable."

She sits on the couch and goes on her phone, and I walk into my other room. After a few minutes, I see Lara's head on the side of the couch. She's already asleep.

"Lara?" I approach and say in a hushed tone. She doesn't move.

I sit on the opposite side of the couch, not wanting to wake her up.

Her phone starts to vibrate in her hand. Should I take it? She might wake up if it continues to ring. She might wake up if I grab it from her. Oh, never mind, I stand up and quickly grab her phone.

It's Aubrey.

"Hello?" I say in a whispered tone.

"Uhm, who's this?" She asks- shocked and a bit sassy.

"Uhm, it's Jake, Lara's asleep, and I didn't want her phone waking her up, so I took it," I explain to her.

"Right," she says incredulously, "Well, where are you guys at? Austin and I are coming to pick her up because we're going out."

"Austin's with you?" I ask Aubrey. She answers back, "Mhm, where're you at?"

"We're at my trailer," I simply say. I guess she took it the wrong way. "Oh, only you, two? What have you guys been doing?" I could feel that she's smiling slyly.

My voice gets caught in my throat, "N-nothing, why would we do anything?"

"Why are you stuttering?"

I inhale and exhale deeply, "I'm not, what are you talking about."

"Well not anymore, you aren't. But just before you did..."

Shit, she can't know I like Lara, not yet.

"...oh my gosh, Jake! If you're hiding something, tell me!" She screams from the other side of the line. I could hear Austin, "Hey, babe. Why you screaming?"

For reassurance, I ask, "Is that Austin?"

She says in frustration, "No, some other guy called me babe. Of course it's Austin," she talks into the phone again but directed it to Austin, "Here, you talk to Jake."

"Aye man. What did you do that got Aubrey pissed off?" Austin's voice was relaxed and collected.

I reply back, "She's accusing me of stuttering when I didn't."

"Are you serious?" He asks with disbelief, "Did you talk to her about Lara?"

I cough being surprised with his question, "W-What?"

"You know, Lara? The girl you're kinda crazy for?" I could tell Austin has this smirk on his face when he said this. "Sh-shhhh-shut up. Aubrey might hear you!" I loudly yell into the phone. I look at Lara and see if she's still sound asleep.

Damn. Heavy sleeper.

"Well, I can't keep this from her, so you got to tell her sooner or later," Austin replies and I can hear Aubrey in the background, "Tell me what?"

"I don't know, bro. I mean, I know I should tell her, but at the same time I want you to tell her," I say as I scratch my head.

I hear Aubrey repeatedly say 'tell me what' over and over. Then, I hear rustling over the phone line. "No, Aubrey - babe, I'm trying to talk to J-"

"Jake, what's going on?" I hear Aubrey on the other side of the line.

"Sorry, man. She freaked out and put you on speaker," Austin sighs.

"Shit," I whisper to myself, "Uhm, it's nothing."

"No, it's not nothing. Tell me now," she persistently says. I could feel the radiation of anger in her. "Dude, just tell her, she's gonna find out anyways, so might as well tell her."

"No," I take a deep breath, "Look, I can't tell you right at the moment," I say in frustration. "Jake, tell her. She's giving me the look."

I smirk and continue, "I'm sorry, Austin, but I'm not telling her right now."

Instead of Austin answering, Aubrey speaks, "Fine. When's Lara gonna wake up?" I glance at Lara and sit right next to her, "I don't want to wake her up. She seems really tired."

"Wake her up or we're coming there."

Damn. She's straight to the point. I guess I have no choice.

"Fine. Come here then."

Aubrey's voice became distant from the phone, "Austin, let's go!"

"Jake, you don't know what the hell you got yourself in to, but anyways, see you in a bit."

I smile and put the phone on the coffee table. I look at Lara. Her hair covers half of her face; I take my hand and gently take the strands away from her face. She flinches and adjusts her body - lifting her legs onto the couch, but in reality, on my thighs. I see that her lips form into a small pout. I continue to look at her as she sleeps, geez.. I hope this doesn't seem too weird.

I start to dowse off until I hear from Lara, "I wish you were mine."

I look at her, "what?"

She's still sleeping. She's talking in her sleep.

Who is she talking about? Is it someone I already know? What if she has guys trying to ask her out already.

I can't sleep anymore. Geez.

Her voice starts to repeat in my head.

I wish you were mine.

I wish you were mine, too, Lara.