29: Tension

_____________________________________

Chapter 29: Tension

My phone blares out the repetitive old telephone ringtone, making me jump out of my seat immediately. The time pops out on the screen, and I realized it's about half past seven. We've been here longer than I thought. I look up at Jake, and his eyes are larger than golfing equipment.

I instantly remember someone is waiting for me to pick up my phone. God, I've been dreading this day would come, and I thought it would be later than sooner.

"Who is it?" He turns his head to my seat in the back, trying to keep his calm as I see his grip on the steering wheel reveals his veins.

I put my index finger right against my lips trying to silence him - I don't want to speak to her right now.

Especially with him here.

I slide my thumb against the cool surface of my phone and wait for the voice to speak.

"Marian Lara Estrada," her voice is icy and no sympathy is present.

I look at Jake and his face is forward, staring at the road before him. "Good evening... Mom."

"Where are you, right now?" I can picture her right now thinking of accusations in her head to scream at me. I think of a good answer; if I say I'm in the car, I'll be asked who I'm with, but if I say I'm home, she could've called Auntie's house already. I decide to go with my first response.

"I'm sitting down inside the car," I state in a monotone manner. "You're with your aunt, right?" She immediately fires back. I take a deep breath before answering.

Lying will never get you anywhere, Lara.

"Who else would I know here in California?" I divert her question with another one while chuckling uncomfortably because I don't want her to get the wrong idea of me being rude to her. I feel myself begin to fear every word that comes out of her mouth. "I don't know - doesn't Aubrey live there. You could be with her," she is being very blunt right now, and I'm starting to feel uneasy. I don't remember telling her anything about Aubrey; well, I have, but I thought she didn't pay attention.

The car stops at a red light, and I look out the window from the backseat. I feel Jake's eyes burning holes through my body, and I try to ignore it knowing that he wants to why my mother called me at this time. I steal a glance towards Jake, and he mouthes out, "Speaker."

I click on the button right away, answering my mother in the process, "Mom, I'm coming to the house. I think I'll be fine," I feel my voice go on edge, but I try to maintain my sweet-loving side, so my mother will not flip out. My mom's words are now blaring throughout the car space, "Well, make sure you go home now. I don't want you staying out too late."

Too late for that now.

"Alright, mom. I -"

"Lara. I need to tell you something, so call me back right when you get home." Without saying goodbye, she hangs up on me, and I feel the worry running through me.

Did someone tell her about Jake and I? Auntie would never do that to me; no one knows about us - only a select few. Auntie would never try to sabotage my relationship. She must've seen something online.

Did she see the celebrity tabloids? Was there an article on Jake that showed a small glimpse of my body?

"Lara," Jake's voice cuts my train of thought. "Am I taking you to -"

"Yes. Aubrey's," I lean my head against the tinted window and close my eyes, trying to force myself to sleep, not wanting to deal with any of the problems that my mother may bring me.