43: Unnoticed

Oh my god... So the chapter deleted, and I had to rewrite it - twice. (The one I posted on the eleventh was deleted, so I decided to change it up. Sorry for the inconvenience.) It was my birthday when I first posted it, but it deleted so it was kinda disappointing; but anyways, happy late birthday to one of my dedicated fans: @dayay1016!

Thank you so much for the 50,000 views on Infinite. Just last year, I had no idea I was capable of getting 1,000 views, but with all your support, I was able to get where I am today. This chapter is dedicated to the following lovely followers for your consistent comments & support: @dayay1016, @xoxomychelle, @fetusclifford, and @jacksonslays. You guys are the best.

(The song selection is difficult to choose for this chapter due to the amount of events, so no song list this time, but if you would like, use the song "All My Life" on repeat by K-Ci & JoJo)

__________

43: Unnoticed

I stare at the television set above me. It's been a few hours since I've woken up, and I've been surfing through channels since I don't really know what else I can do. The doctors told me what had happened, but I couldn't think of myself; I thought about how Lara reacted - how did she find out? It's been thirty days since my accident, but it could've felt longer for her - it must have been. I mean - just a month of not speaking to her due to her move made me feel empty, but I cannot fathom the amount of pain and anguish she may be going through - I mean, if we were to switch positions, I'd be fucking devastated - hell, I wouldn't know what I would do if I couldn't be with her physically.

I tap my index finger, changing the channel again, since my body's numbness disappearing, the immense pain slowly building. At the same time, I listen to the feminine voice through the line with the telephone connected to the hospital number near my ear, "Yea, mom. I'm fine. You don't need to worry about me," I reply to my mother weakly. I hear her sniffles and short breaths as she speaks, and I answer back, "Mom, please don't cry. I'm okay now. Yes - mom, tell Ava and Dad I miss and love all of you." I've been on the phone with her for about ten minutes now, and in that time, I've been trying to soothe her as shaggy breaths escape her lips. "Jake, you know how worried we got when Ava showed us the news article," her voice hiccups out, and I know she is wiping her tears. "Mom, I told you -" I try to ease her pain, but she cuts me off.

"Jake Toranzo Austin Szymanski. You can't tell me not to worry. Your sister was sobbing when she found out, and I didn't know what to tell her. How can I not worry when I'm miles and miles away from my little boy," she scolds me, her voice soft, but I understand her meaning: she misses me, and I miss them in return, but we can't always get what we want since I have work and they do too. "Tell Ava I'm doing fine now - I'm alright, mom. Please don't worry too much." She approves my statement, "Alright - make sure you do not tire yourself. You need to rest until you're fully healed."

"Yes, mom," I whine jokingly, knowing how my mom always tries to baby me even from a distance of more than a thousand miles away. "We miss you so much, honey," her voice wraps with love and sympathy, "We love you." "I love you guys more," I state out, "I'll talk to you later. Tell Ava to do well in school, and that she better not grow up too quickly: she's still my baby sister."

"I will, honey," she replies. "Get some rest, okay? Good night."

"Good night, mom. Take care."

I turn off the phone, and I look back at the iPad on my nightstand. She is still sleeping, papers scattered on her bed. I lift my free hand to reach for the iPad, but since it is too far, I take my phone instead. There are a few cracks, but it is still usable. I slide my thumb against the glass, unlocking it after putting my code. I press the Instagram application to see what I've missed; I've been tagged in many photos, telling me to get well soon, how my fans love me, and so on. I scroll through my tagged photos, stopping at one specific picture.