31: Near but Far

____________________________________
Chapter 31: Near but Far
It's the day of the premiere. I've been sitting in this car for thirty minutes now debating if or not I should get down and walk through the red carpet. I told Cierra and Maia I'll have someone take me instead of going inside their limo, but now I think about it, that's the worst decision I've ever made. I'm inside the other limo with Dan, Hayden, and David.

How fucking great.

Lara is in the other limo right now as "Cierra's guest," but Maia and Cierra both know that that's just a cover up for the paparazzi. Their limo is right in front of me, and they haven't gotten down either, so something must be up.

I text Lara asking how she's doing; I can think of many scenarios that is going through her mind.

*How you feelin', babe? Wanna make a run for it with me?*

She must be filled with anxiousness right now. Last night when I saw her marks - my blood was boiling so much although I controlled it in front of her. I wanted to ask her who did it, who was responsible for her physical and mental injuries, but the fear in her eyes made me stop my interrogation. Her voice was shattered and I couldn't bear to ask her even more just to know that it'll worsen her state of mind.

Right after we picked up her dress and my suit, which I hid from her, I brought out the shoes I got her two days ago from the trunk. Her reaction was priceless - flustered and crimson red, she refused to take my gifts but I insisted. I needed to see her in that beautiful dress today; the cashier wouldn't let me see her finalize it. I look at my phone and see her name pop up on my phone. I check her text almost immediately, ignoring the stares I'm getting from Dan and Hayden, and the glare of fucking David.

He doesn't know that we got back together, but that's a good thing for now.

*I'll survive :) I want to see you in the suit first.*
I can't bear to think how much her body is throbbing right now. Her body is surrounded by pain right now, and she already told me the dress covered most of the markings, but she had to put on concealer and foundation on a bunch of the marks that revealed her skin. I told her to send me a photo of the bruises earlier when she was preparing with the girls, but instead she sent me a photo of herself smiling without any trace of makeup on her face, telling me not to worry one bit.

But instead, I'm worrying more than words can describe. I reply back to her, trying to continue the conversation we've been having since she woke up in the morning:

*I can't wait to see you.*

Before I can send it, my name is called out. "Jake, they're opening the car doors soon," Dan pats my leg, making me look up at his eyes. I nod in return, adding on to my final text to Lara:

*I can't wait to see you. You're going to look great, my queen ;)*

I put my phone in my pocket right after I sent the text, making eye contact with Hayden, Dan, and fucking David.

"You ready to go?" David's face is neutral, but there is a small smirk played on his lips. Instead of answering him, I look at the door and smack my hands together, "Let's go."

We exit out of the car quickly, being bombarded by flashes and clicks of cameras. We continue to walk on the red carpet until we end up at an open space to wait for the others.

To wait for Lara.

The cameras haven't ceased, but most of the photographers are staying by the entrance leaving us standing and waiting for the three girls. I look towards the entrance door and see that the girls are about to get out of the Mercedes-Benz limo.
I see a flash of pink sparkles, knowing that that's Cierra. Her light dress is to the middle of her thighs, sparkles scintillating as every flash takes over. Her heels are about five inches high, and she stands up right away, smiling for the cameras and waiting for Maia and Lara to fall behind. Maia comes out of the car right after, her dress is long, almost touching the ground with cream lace. She flashes out her smile to the camera with Cierra, posing here and there until the photographers move onwards to the next vehicle.
I feel time playing with my head, because everything seems to slow down as soon as the photographers moved away. Maia bends down at door level, and I see a leg coming into view. My pulse is racing at a rapid speed, my palms become to form perspiration, and a smile is fighting its way to my face. I see her arm, no bruises whatsoever, grab onto Maia's and she finally comes into view.