1: A Summer Home

Hi to all the people starting to read my book! This chapter is basically about the narrator, Lara, her life in a way, and how she begins her summer, so if it's only detailed on her life, don't worry because it'll help later in the following chapters. The chapters will get better as you continue on. ♡

__________________________

• chapter 1: s u m m e r h o m e

It's May 22nd, 2014 - the last day of school; I should be in class right now, but instead I'm inside a plane on my way to California. Yea, this is my second year missing the last day of school, but I honestly don't care. By now, I can already picture everyone at school saying their 'goodbyes' and 'farewells'. People are crying their hearts out as if they'll never see their friends again. It's like the end of the world to them. However, for me, it's not like I'll miss anyone there because everything in my school made me miserable: the homework, the teachers, the student population. I've been dreaming about summer for a while now... It's an escape from my insanity. Every minute that passes, I feel like stress is escaping my body. School has affected me a lot this year, and I honestly needed this break.

It takes roughly seven hours to get from Alaska to the lower 48's; I've been planted in my seat for 2 hours already, my laptop is dead, and the only thing keeping me busy is my sketch pad. I've been drawing nonstop ever since I got in this plane. There's nothing else to do. Anyways, even though my butt is numb to the core, I'm actually excited to go to California. I'll finally see my relatives after ten years; I bet a lot has changed since I was six years old. I really miss them - more than anyone can imagine. Well, I guess until then, I'll draw till the flight's over.

About six and a half hours have passed, and my plane finally landed here in Los Angeles. I take out my iPhone and check the time, it's 5:32 p.m., "I hope Tita Lea is here at the airport already."

I call her, and she said she's on her way. That meant she was about 15 minutes away. I can't wait to see her... she's like my second mom. But anyways, I go through all the lines and dealt with the paperwork, got my suitcases, and waited outside the airport for my aunt. I take my phone out and wait for my aunt to call me.

Two minutes later, my phone rings and I answer, "hello?"

"MARIAN LARA ESTRADA! Where are you?" screams my aunt from the other side of the line.

"Tita, I'm outside already. Where are you?"

"Oh! I see you!" She hangs up the phone, and I see this silver Mercedes Benz coming my way. A smile appeared on my face as I saw my aunt come out from her door.

"TITA LEA!" I scream at the top of my lungs, I dropped my backpack and purse just to jump into her arms.

She hugs me and I felt like I was in a new environment. She let go of me, and she took my suitcases and put them in the trunk. I slide inside the Mercedes, and with a surprise, my uncles and aunts were in the back of the car. My vacation finally begun.

*****

I stared outside the car window looking at the scenery of Los Angeles. I don't even know where my aunt lives anymore. It took about 30 minutes before we all got to my aunt's house.

When I got out of my aunt's car, I dropped my things - my best friend, the one I haven't seen for two years - was standing right in front of me. I couldn't believe my eyes.

"AUBREY! Oh my gosh! Is that really you?" I ran screaming towards her. She hugs me, and I was bawling my eyes out. "Lara! It's been so long since we've... Oh my gosh!"

My aunt walks toward us and smiles. "She lives around the block. When she moved here we visited them, and our families have been friends ever since."