9: Chocolate

Hi you guys! Thank you for supporting my story; I know it's not the best out there, but you guys just reading makes me feel really good about myself. Enjoy the suspense of chapter 9.

__________________________________

Chapter 9: Chocolate

"Go grab some lunch and eat some cucumb-" I pause halfway as I see the light in the hall diminish.

I slowly put away the guitar on the stand and crawl towards the door. I turn off the light from my position and hid by laying on my back on the floor right next to the windows. I felt my body freeze up against the marble floor.

I could hear footsteps on the fourth floor. Is that Auntie? Uncle? Jake? Oh my gosh.

I hear the music room door rattling. I look at the window from my position and see a sillouheutte of a guy trying to open it. I couldn't really picture his face 'cause it was dark. He opens the door and my heart stops right then and there. The door shuts right away. He couldn't see me since he didn't turn on the light while I saw a faint outline and saw him approach the guitar I just played a few moments ago.

I push myself to sit up.

"...Jake?" I say barely audible.

The black shadow turns to see who said that. I couldn't see the facial expression being painted, so I went closer to the light source.

The man was silent.

"Jake.. Is that you?" I question trying to be a little louder. I was freaking out. Why isn't he answering. Is he trying to scare me?

"Jake?"

No response.

Before I could do anything else, I flick the light on and my eyes readjust for a few moments. When I opened my eyes, I see Jake standing up with a straight face wearing sweatpants. Yes, sweatpants.. Only.

"Jake. It is you!" I scream in a hushed tone dropping the bow to the ground.

Before I could ask why he wasn't talking, he approaches me quickly and turns off the light.

"Jake.. What-" he covers my mouth with his hand and wraps his other arm around my stomach. He sits us down on the wall.

I muffle, "Jake what are you doing?" "Shhhhh," he replies in a tone which seems really serious.

His grip on me was really rough; I felt his warmth though. It made my temperature rise from the coldness it gained earlier. His head was looking at the window.

What's going on.

I hear footsteps again. I know Auntie is sleeping already, so it can't be her. Maybe it's uncle needing to use the restroom, but why would he need to go through the fourth floor.

Jake slowly makes me get up before I could start thinking of what else those footsteps were. He and I stand against the door.

"Jake," I whisper to his hand. He looks at me, but I could not see his eyes, "Who's out there?"

He doesn't reply. "Jake, are you trying to scare me?"

"Stay here and don't move," he says getting up. He opens the door and leaves me in the music room.

I hear a bunch of thuds and drops before it became silent. What's going on?

I hear Jake's voice: "What are you doing here?"

"I had no where else to go and it's late," The voice says. I know this voice. Who is it and why is it here?

"Are you even allowed to be here at this time?" Jake asks.

"Yea, I've been here before?" The guy says.

I get up from my position and get out of the music room. It's dark, so I try my best not to freak out. I go down the stairs and see that the kitchen lights are on. I peek at the doorway and see Jake's back towards me. I could not see the other face.

"When?" Jake asks.

"Why do you need to know? Question is why you're here," the guy seemed amused.

Before Jake could answer, I drag my feet into the kitchen.

Jake turns around to see me, "I told you to stay in the music room." I look passed him and see the guy he was talking to.

He's wearing what he wore earlier. A beanie, a red crew neck, black jeans, and converse. Why is Austin in my kitchen?

"Austin?" I question confused on why he's in my house.

"Hey Lara," he takes a bite from his Hershey bar that I assume he grabbed from the cabinet.

"How'd you- what- but- how'd you get in?!" I ask puzzled and surprised.

"Auntie told me where the keys were because sometimes I'm not allowed to sleepover at Aubrey's," he says it as if it was something normal and smiles. My parents would never allow something like that.

"I thought it was some kind of robber trying to kill us," I say holding my chest, "Gosh, I was scared for my life."

"Nah, Aubrey and I went to the beach really quick to make-" he bites his lip and smiles, then looks down right before continuing, "and then I dropped her home. I was gonna sleep there, but her auntie took the couch outside her room," Austin says with a pout plastered on his face.

"Right, she told me about her compromise with her mom. She has her own floor and you get to sleep on the couch outside of her room," I say trying to figure everything out.

"Yup," he pops the P very noticeably.

Before I could say anything, I notice Jake is right next to me now. "You should go to bed now, Lara. It's getting late," Jake looks at me while grabbing my waist.

Austin replies, "Sorry if I woke you two, I usually go here really late because Auntie doesn't mind."

I look at Austin, "It's fine, I was in the music room anyways!"

"I forgot, you sing a lot like Aubrey," he smiles, "I miss my shawty."

"So it was you singing?" Jake interrupts, "I thought it was the radio playing."

I immediately flush red in my cheeks, "Uh, I'm gonna go to bed now... goodnight!" I get out of Jake's grip and wave to both of them.

"Goodnight, Lara!" I hear Austin while waving.

While rushing up the stairs, I trip and fall on the fourth floor. "Ow!" I screech in a whispered tone.

I hear a pair of feet jet up the stairs as well, "Are you okay?"

I look up to see Jake looking at me, putting out his hand in front of me.

I grab it and he pulls me a little too hard, and my face gets buried in his chest. I smell his cologne on his skin, and it'd be an understatement if I said it smelled heavenly.

"Woah, you're lighter than I thought," he says still holding my right hand, and resting his left hand on my back.

"Hey!" I say thinking that he was being offensive.

"Sorry, I didn't mean it like that," he replies, "I just, uhm.." He couldn't say anything at the moment.

"Oh.. It's okay, I guess I'll go to my room now," I say trying to pull away from his body.

Before I could separate our hands, he pulls us back together and hugs me, "Goodnight, Lara."

My eyes widen as he hugs me, "Goodnight, Jake." I move away from his hug and turn to my room. Before I could close the door tightly, Jake holds it and speaks, "Uhh, see you in the morning." I nod, and he shuts the door.

What in the - oh my gosh. I look at myself in the mirror. I guess it's time to go to bed. I walk to my bed and plop down.

See you in the morning.

Why did he do that.

His voice and image repeat through my head.

Is he messing with me?

My eyes start to get heavy. Why.. Why did he do that?

See you in the morning.

*******

*
Point of View: Jake T. Austin
*

Austin laughs at me hysterically, "Are you stupid, Jake?"

"I know it was bad, but SHUT UP!" I say throwing his bag at him, "I couldn't think of anything else to say!" I raise my voice at Austin.

"See you in the morning," Austin mimics my voice and bursts out in laughter again.

"Let it go!" I say while I squeeze the bridge of my nose.

"I'm sorry man, but that has to be the stupidest thing you've ever said. I would know because Aubrey laughs at me all the time," he says mocking me.

"What else could I have said?" I ask him.

Austin laughs as he puts on his sweats, "I don't know, you could've been like, 'Good night, Lara. Sweet dreams,' but Noooo, you had to be like 'See you in the morning,'" he continues to laugh.

He's never gonna let this go. My God.

"Then I'd be saying goodnight twice," I say to him.

"So, at least it's better than what you said, and you'd be saying sweet dreams, too," he answers back like his answer was obvious.

"I swear, Jake, if I didn't know you any better, I'd think you have a crush on Lara now," Austin says looking at me.

I pause for a moment too long. "Jake? Do you like Lara?" He asks specifying the word like.

"I- I don't know," I say back.

"How do you feel about her?" Austin questions.

I look down at the wooden floor, "What do you mean?"

"I know it's been a while since you've had a girlfriend, but do you feel any different around her? Or is she just another girl?"

I look up and see Austin staring at me, "I feel different around her."

"How?"

"I-I just do. There's something about her that makes me feel different," I tell Austin, "She's genuine. She doesn't cake her face, she's beautiful! Her face is, wow... and her personality is s- so- I don't even know how to describe her. She's perfect, and the way her cheeks redden, and, d-did you hear her voice?! It sounds like an -"

"Damn, Jake," Austin says while shaking his head, "I think you got it good."

"Got what good?" I question.

He stares right at me, "The lovebug; You like Lara."

I take my time to process it in my head.

"I do, don't I."

"You like her, Jake. It's obvious."

I take a deep breath,

"I like Lara."

Wow.

Lara.

I like Lara.

__________________________________

Hey guys. This story is gonna start to heat up in the next chapters. If it's possible, can you guys vote for my story? It would mean so much to me!
Thanks for continuing to read my story♡