36: Mousetrap

______________

36: Mousetrap

We get out of my car almost immediately, our bodies being hit by the rays of sunshine. I am about to wrap my arm around her waist, but she walks further ahead, dodging me. I realize she doesn't want public display of affection towards her - especially while I am at work, knowing exactly why.

We walk a few feet away from each other, but as my patience runs dry, I take my place right next to her, moving at the same speed. "Jake," she mumbles out as her eyebrows knit together. "What?" I playfully speak, "I'm not doing anything. I'm just standing at a good distance right next to you while I walk to the set." I earn a small chuckle escaping her lips before she rolls her eyes and shakes her head, looking forward.

Sooner than I expected, we reach the set; we tried taking the long way already, but it seems as if time flew by as I hang with my girlfriend. "You haven't been here for awhile," I nudge her arm with my elbow, and her face is composed but her eyes are filled with fear and

Her aunt isn't one of the makeup artists for the cast today, so Lara plants herself on the couch, saying a quiet 'hello' and 'good morning' to people who pass by near the food table. I take a good look at what she's wearing: my navy blue basketball shorts and grey hoodie, and her black Converse. My eyes quickly notice the progression of her injuries - her bruises have healed immensely, but she forced me to return her makeup pouch to cover herself up to like nothing has ever happened. I am irritated with the piles of makeup on her body, but it's understandable due to what had happened to her.

"Jake," Cierra stands right next to me, "Did you hear anything I said?" I shake my head 'no,' and she laughs at me. "What did you say?" I ask her, removing my eyes off of Lara. "Well," she places her hand on my shoulder, "I said we're starting the last scene for the season, so move it!" She smiles and pushes me away, and I take one more glance at Lara who looks from the backdrop for our last scene to me. I mouthe to her that I love her, and she blows me a kiss and mouthes it back.

*****
*
Point of View: Marian Lara Estrada
*

Six hours later...

"And scene!" The director mournfully speaks out. He wipes his eyes with his sleeve before clapping his hands, "That was truly emotional." I feel my cheeks wet with tears as well as I see the actors wiping their faces with tissues and sleeves, making me cover my face with the palms of my hands.

They have finally finished the last part of The Fosters summer season 2, and it has brought everyone to shambles. My heart hurts from the last scene and what had occurred, the tears continuously pouring.

"Hey," Jake walks up to me with bloodshot eyes, "How'd you like the last scene?" A big smile is still plastered onto his face like nothing bad happened during the making of the scene. "Intense," I use my fingers for the remaining liquid pouring down, still thinking of the last filmed part, "That's terrible what happened."

He chuckles out, putting his arms out to embrace me, and I look around to see everyone minding their own business. "Don't worry; it's just a friendly hug," He smiles and I stand up from the couch and wrap my arms around his torso. Quickly, Jake whispers near my ear, "Sweetheart."

I push him to let go of my arms and laugh at him. As I stop myself from my giggling fit, he seems to have spaced out as he just stares at me with a blank expression.

"Jake?" I snap my fingers in front of his face; he quickly shakes his head and shows a lopsided smirk, "Sorry, Lara. I was just mesmerized by you," he spins me around, so we can walk towards the food table, "We should get going. I don't want us to waste anymore time." He grabs an apple from the basket full of fruits.