51: Start

______
51: Start

"Are you serious?" A laugh escapes my lips, my palms covering my mouth as I try to maintain the peace and orderliness inside the building. There's a few people around us, so I don't want to cause any unwanted attention - especially since Jake is here. He nods, "Does it look like I'm joking?" He takes a fry, biting it before he continues to laugh with me. We've been at Village Inn for about an hour now, enjoying each other's company. "Why would you -" I try to string my sentences together, "It's just -" I sigh, "How does the Jake T. Austin slip into a swimming pool." "Like I said," his eyes reflect nothing but joy, "It was the dog. It wouldn't leave me alone, so I had no other choice but to run." I roll my eyes, "I mean, you could've not ran near the pool - that's an option," I try to sound sarcastic, but the smile overcoming my face makes it difficult to do so.

"Sir," a middle-aged man brings back our check, the change inside, "Thank you for coming. Have a safe night." My smile falters a little, knowing that our night is almost over, but I try not to make it too obvious in front of him. Jake takes hold of the small, receipt holder, giving him a kind smile in return, "Thank you. The food was amazing," before the man leaves to attend to other tables. He focuses his attention on me as I vaguely stare at the man, picking up glasses and plates, cleaning tables, and speaking to other customers. "You ready to go?" His left hand squeezes my right hand from across the table. I nod, and he continues his sentence, "We'll just continue the conversation in the car."

Jake and I stay in his car until half past twelve before I realize the time. "Can you drop me home?" I ask. His smile lightens up, and I have to ask why, "What? Is there something on my face?" He shakes his head, "No, it's just - it's been so long since I was able to do this." "Jake, I think you're going crazy," I giggle, and he takes our intertwined hands and kisses the back of my left hand, "I'll say it once, I'll say it twice - it's because I'm crazy for you." Hearing him say that causes a plethora of emotions to run inside my veins; all the endless FaceTime conversations, all the text messages, all the late night calls: were worth it.

I give him the directions to my home, pointing at what point to turn and what streets to stop at. Then, I lift my phone a few inches away from his face, making sure the sound is on as I click a photo while his eyes train ahead of him, a small grin curved upon his lips, "Don't look at me like that - you're distracting me." He places his hand on top of mine, and I place my free hand on top of both hands intertwined, "I feel complete when I'm with you." A few more minutes go by, and the car slows down to a stop as I see my home - no lights turned on.

"They must be at work," I blankly state, letting go of his hand, "When am I gonna see you again?" Instead of answering, he removes his seatbelt and runs to my side, opening the door for me and letting me out, "How about we go on a date in a few hours?" I pretend to think about it, leaning against the car to show that I'm processing his statement, "Maybe." "I'm taking that as a yes. Do you want me to pick you up?" He opens the back passenger door, pulling out my bags. I shake my head, "I'll meet you at my school. I have to get a few things before meeting up with you," I state, remembering the written list of materials on the refrigerator door. He seems hesitant, but agrees. "Which window is connected to your room?" He looks up, his finger counting the amount of windows. I gently hold onto his wrist, guiding him to point at the far left window, "That one." He chuckles, "It seems like I can't climb up your window this time."

I giggle with him, before grabbing my bags, "You'll figure something out."

*****

Laying on my bed, I ponder on what just happened tonight. He's here. Jake is here. I hear my phone vibrate, and jolting up, I quickly slide it open without even noticing who's calling me at this time of night. It must be Jake.