47: Reminder

______

47: Reminder

"I love you, baby girl, and I'll always be here for you."

My eyes remain shut, exhaling heavy breaths of oxygen to mimic snoring. My heart pounds against my chest as I listen to his dark, raspy tone. I hear rustling through the line, knowing that he'll be falling asleep soon. After speaking to him for a few hours, I knew that he wouldn't sleep until I fell asleep, so I decided to fake that I knocked out.

He needs sleep. He has work tomorrow, and he cannot be tired since he'll be up the whole day.

After a few more minutes, the rustling ends, being replaced by soft snores. I peek open one of my eyes to see if he is fully asleep, and right away, I am greeted by his face, lips formed into a small line as he rests his arms on the pillow.

I know I should actually be asleep, but I can't. No matter how hard I try, my mind runs with fear and worry. Although Jake seems to have soothed me for a moment, it isn't enough - especially knowing that I am not safe forever. Jayce can be my shield, but all shields break at some point. He isn't indestructible - he'll slip and shatter, and Quinn will figure out that I used his cousin for a lie to protect myself. Then, who knows what will happen. Quinn is unpredictable, cunning, and merciless.

My eyes are wide open, staring at the white ceiling above me, the light from my lamp casting shadows above. The darkness seems to overpower the light, making me think back to earlier: the events blasting inside my mind. Quinn is here. He knows where I live. He knows what I've said, and he is convinced for now. But what if he finds out. What if Jayce isn't capable of lying to his cousin for too long? I return my eyes to the man I fear, and he whispers, "I was never here. If I hear anything about what you're saying is a lie," his hand near my entrance slowly touches me with the cloth separating him, "You can say goodbye to this, bitch." He rips his firing hand away from my body and removes himself off of me, a gush of air slamming - replacing his body - into me as he exits quickly through the other door. I grab onto myself, wrapping my arms as if some failed attempt of a shield: I joined physical training at school, and none of the work I had done paid off.

What am I going to do? I remember each blow that hit my skin, each sting that bursted against my face, each slice that made me closer to my death, and it returned all because of him. I feel my body igniting in pain again. I can remember the cold metal against my skin again, the blood trickling down my arm to the ground until I escaped reality for a brief moment. I can't do it again, but what if I need to. What if that's the only solution I have?

What if I want to do this? What if I need to do this?

Do I need to do this?

But before I can process about it anymore, I hear the garage door rumble, realizing my mother and father are home.

*
Point of View: Jacob Christopher Camareno
*

I kissed her.

My mind has not fully accepted what has happened, but I kissed her. I kissed my best friend. My lips pressed against her soft, pink lips - the feeling of ecstasy and surprise not leaving my veins just yet. I should feel guiltiest than I feel right now, but I do not... It's numbed by the overpowering emotion controlling me: love.

Instead of speaking, my brain seemed to have disconnected with my body, because right away, my body closed the space in between us, my lips pressed against her soft, tinted lips. She gasped at first, but I decided to close my eyes, not wanting to see her reaction for a moment, to feel this one cherishing kiss that I can share with her. I kept my lips against hers, not knowing for how long, but knowing I did not want it to end.