37: Technology is Essential

Welcome to the beginning of Infinite: Part II. Look out for new features and drama ;)

This chapter is dedicated to xoxomychelle for reading the whole book and commenting on most of the chapters in three days :)

Songs that will make the chapter flow better:
• Stay with Me - Sam Smith
• Say Something - A Great Big World
• Lay Me Down - Sam Smith
____________

37: Technology is Essential

August 5, 2014

It's been thirty three days since I've seen her.

Thirty three long days since I've last spoken to her in person.

Thirty three damned painful days since I last hugged or kissed her.

Thirty three days... Thirty three days without the girl who has made me realized what love is: Marian Lara Estrada.

I've laid in bed for a few days now, everything in the past weeks seeming like years have past; however, the memories of our last night together still replaying in my head like it only happened minutes ago. The Disney date was our final few moments together; it was just like how Cinderella had time to live her dream and joined the ball. Our days together were limited, being stopped by time just like midnight struck twelve for Cinderella. But this time, I can't give Lara her glass shoe because she's thousands of miles away.

"My mom is here, and I'm leaving," her voice held nothing but pain and sorrow as we stand in the street. Aunt Lea walked away, not wanting to be part of this conversation. Lara can't look me in the eyes, and I force myself to speak up, "When - when are you leaving?" She doesn't speak, so I reiterate my question, "When are you leaving, Lara. I need to know."

Still, no answer.

"Lara," I whisper, "I need to know when you're leaving. I can't - I can't handle it if you just leave me without saying anything. I need to know how long I have with you." She lifts her head up slowly to look at me, tears sliding freely down her face, "I only have minutes with you now. I'm leaving in a few hours, Jake."

My mind does not process her words, making me speak out, "You're joking. Sweetheart, you can't joke around about stuff like this." I force a smile onto my face, but in the inside, my heart not only cracks, but it is like a precious vase being smashed against the floor, and as soon as that is done, a hammer pulverizes it - leaving the dust to fly with the wind.

"Why would I joke about this?" Her voice hiccups, and the pain in her eyes feel like a slap to the face, but I still do not process the truth she speaks out. "Lara, you're just joking... You're just saying that to mess with me. You're not leaving," I push all the confidence into my sentence, thinking if I believe in it, it'll be able to come true.

"Jake, I - I'm not joking," she cries out, "Why would I joke about this. Do you think I want to leave you? I want to stay here, but this isn't some damned fairytale. I don't have a fairy godmother who'll make everything better."

"Lara, stop; you're not -"

"Jake, I have no choice," her mouth shakes as she speaks her words, "I have to leave; my mom told me about this through the phone a few days ago, but I thought I'd be able to leave some time in August. Not now." Quickly, a flash of memory hits me as I remember her walking down Aubrey's staircase with glossy eyes. "Lara, you can't -"

"I don't want to, Jake!" She stomps her feet and puts her hands to cover her face, "But I have to. I have no say in this!"

"And you know what hurts more?" I don't speak, I want to hear her finish her statement: I want her to say that this is some stupid, terrible joke, but that is not what I hear. Instead, she cries out even harder, wrapping her arms around me, "I'm leaving the best thing that's ever happened in my life." I wrap my arms around her again, but I cannot speak anymore. I've lost the ability to say anything, so instead, I bury my face in her neck, sobbing with her realizing that she is, in fact, leaving.