38: Charms

(Not one of my best chapters I think)

Songs for this chapter:

• Me and my Broken Heart - Rixton

• Latch - Sam Smith

• Summer Love - One Direction

• Almost is Never Enough - Ariana Grande

• Far Away - Nickelback

• Long Distance - Bruno Mars

I used One Direction - who cares. They have fantastic songs. Anyways, this chapter is dedicated to jacksonslays and itsclaritylynn_ for their beautiful comments on my last chapter and support. <3

________________

38: Charms

*

Point of View: Jake Toranzo Austin

*

The ticking of a clock is heard faintly in the distance. I've been walking inside this endless white-filled room for hours now with nothing to do but move forward. However, now as I look straight ahead, I see my girlfriend standing about ten feet away from me. Quickly, I jog to approach her, but as I do, a transparent wall separates us.

A landline phone is held against her left ear, tears coursing down her cheeks silently, "Jake. I can't do this anymore," her voice is loud and clear, "I don't know how I will be able to manage this - this relationship we have going on," her voice has no emotion, and my heart drops as I see what is inside her other hand.

No. Fuck no.

My eyes widen at the sharpened object, fear paling my face faster than seeing a horror film. It's the same one she used before. She is only four feet away from me, but I can't hold her. I slam my fists against the invisible wall, wanting to get to the other side to stop her. "Lara, I'm right in front of you!" I bellow out, "Don't do this!" I try swinging my arms to reach her - to touch her just once - but it is physically impossible. With every movement I make, the wall in between us seems to get more powerful.

"I don't know how I'm going to live with myself without you," Lara looks down at the shining jagged pointed object, "So I'm calling to say goodbye." She looks at her reflection, crying.

My heart begins to beat harder and harder as I see her raise the object higher into the air. The ticking clock has gone to an extreme volume, but I ignore the pain inside my ears to continue slamming my hands on the stupid fucking invisible wall.

"Lara, put the damn knife down!" I try to scream out, but it's as if she can't hear anything. "LARA, LISTEN TO ME!" I yell at the top of my lungs, but I'm not being heard. "Jake, I know you're not there anymore," her hand shakes near her ear, "So I'll end the call."

"No, Lara! I'm right here!" I continue to shout, straining my voice, "Lara, please!"

"I love you, Jake." The phone is dropped onto the ground, and her hand connects with the other holding onto the blade. "MARIAN LARA, don't you dare! Don't you -" but without me being heard, the knife pushes inside her body, and she falls onto the ground... Lifeless.

"NO!" I sit up on my bed almost immediately. Sweat drizzles down my clothes to my body, and it is hard to breathe. I remove the blanket that covers me, trying to calm my body with the air conditioning. This is the sixteenth time I've had a dream - a nightmare about her like this. Fucking hell. The constant beeping echoes throughout my home, and I grab my phone to see the time and stop the alarm; it's been thirty minutes since my last alarm erupted, but it still hasn't stopped.