25: Liars

______________________________________

Chapter 25: Liars

The line is silent, and I feel like David hung up on me. I detach my phone from my ear and quickly check if he did, and the continuing second count reminds me he's still on the line.

I hear a deep sigh after a few more seconds of piercing silence, "Alright. Just -" he stops himself and rewords his statement, "I'm only telling you this because I care for you."

My heart accelerates at an enormous pace.

What is he going to tell me.

"Uhm... Lara. How about I tell you tomorrow. It's getting late," David states into the phone.

"No, tell me now. I need to know, David. You can't just -"

"Lara. I gotta go. See you tomorrow." I hear a little bit of rustling and faint chuckle. The phone line is immediately dead, and I lay flat on my bed with my phone in the palm of my hand. Should I call him back? Maybe that's what he wants me to do. No... I shouldn't, but his voice seemed serious though. Maybe he actually cares for me.

But Jake cares for you, too, Lara. You can't just believe David after that day inside Jake's trailer.

I shake my head and twist my body to put my phone on my nightstand. I guess I'll wait until tomorrow.

I twist my body once more and cover my head and body with the thick blanket. My eyes begin to close and I let the sweet silence accompany me until all my thoughts disappear as I fall asleep.

*****

The next day...

I follow behind Aunt Leah while holding three outfits in each hand. I don't understand how auntie does this, I mean... These hangers weigh a ton and she does this for a living. After dropping them off, I follow her into set 22 and I stand by the refreshments area.

I check my phone... 10:32am.

Where's Jake? He usually isn't this late, or am I just panicking because of what David said last night.

I grab a water bottle and unscrew the cap. Before I can take a sip, I feel an arm wrap around me and I turn around.

"J- oh. David, hey. You surprised me," I give out a nervous laugh and take a step back, not wanting to be touched at all by him.

He ignores my comment and begins, "So," his eyes linger downward to my hand wrapped around my water bottle, "Just come with me." He cuts off his stare and turns around, automatically thinking I'll follow right behind him.

I put more pressure on my plastic bottle, causing it to make crackling sounds as I walk about five feet away from him. He stops walking after we exit out the entrance doors of the set and go to the left side of the building.

I feel my heart pounding in my chest, and my hands continue to squeeze the water bottle.

"Lara. You're killing the bottle," David tries to release the tension in the air, but it doesn't work. I blink at his statement, and automatically release the water in my hand.

The water splashes on the concrete floor and I gasp as the water soaks my Nike shoes and his Converse.

"I- I didn't mean to -" I begin to say and put my hands up in defense as a natural instinct. David brings out both of his hands and grabs hold of my wrists, "You don't need to apologize," he smirks out and puts my hands to my sides before releasing.

I look at him with astonishment, and he takes a deep breath, "Just remain calm, okay?" He smiles and takes a step back, "I'm not gonna do anything bad. I'm just here as a friend."