Dieve Salazar

Nasapo ko ang bandang tiyan ko at gayon na lamang ang habol ko nang hininga nang makita ang dugo sa aking tiyan. Tinignan ko si Janice na may namumuong luha sa kanyang mga mata.

My eyes darted to where Reed is, she's struggling yet we cannot do anything. Dumako naman ang tingin ko kay Ryoichi na natulala sa nangyari.

The pain is agonizing. I don't think my body can handle the pain anymore. "D-Dieve?" I tried to step back but I lose my balance.

Napaigik na lamang ako nang bumagsak ang katawan ko sa lupa. My eyes clouded with tears of pain and frustration.

Damn it! Kailangan makaligtas si Reed.

I grit my teeth and tried to stand up but to no avail my body became weak and limp with one shot. Naramdaman ko pa ang tuloy na pagdanak ng dugo mula sa sugat ko at unti-unti ring nahihirapan akong huminga.

"Dieve, okay ka lang ba?" My tears streamed down my face when she called out to me. She called out to me full of concern yet here I am struggling to come to her aid. Struggling to live.

"O-oo, ayos lang ako, Reed. Mababaw na sugat lang ito." Sinubukan ko ng lakipan ng tawa kahit pa halata na nahihirapan ako. I can't let her suffer further. I don't want the person I truly love suffer more.

"Liar," malat na wika niya. My heart aches with her word. I lied just for her yet she knows me more than anyone else. "You're wounded, Dieve," her voice croaked and sobs are the only sound I can hear.

Please, Reed. Don't cry. I don't want you crying anymore. I've given you enough heartaches for you to shed more tears.

"Dieve, you're not fine at all!" She tried to shout but her voice is slowly fading. Her tears streaming down her beautiful face.

I want to wipe those tears away. I want to kiss those eyes to stop her pain, but I can't.

Lalo kong naramdaman ang paghapdi ng sugat ko kasabay ng naririnig kong alingawngaw ng mga sirena sa taas.

They're finally here.

I smiled internally and kept my gaze to Reed. She'll be safe soon. She'll be fine. She will live and be free with him– with Ryoichi, who she's meant for.

Another gunshot echoed inside the room. Nakita ko kung paano isinanggala ni Ichi ang katawan niya para maprotektahan si Reed. Nang dumako ang tingin niya sa akin ay tumutulo ang kanyang luha.

My breath hitched. Nahihirapan na ako huminga at nanlalata na ako. I can't even move a finger. A single tear fell from my right eye. Mustering all I have I whispered. "I'm sorry."

My eyes are growing dark, everything seems to be clouded and all I can remember is her. Her smiles, her eyes, her laughter and the way she calls my name.

"Dieve!"

Her smile a new ray of sunshine. I can't help but to smile, she's my happy drug. The source of all joy inside me.

She wears a straw hat with a cute little ribbon while wearing a thin knitted sweater over her sleeveless spaghetti strap top. She looks gradient as always.

It's been a three months since she and I went back here in Baguio after Ryoichi left. I've been courting her for three months and all I ever want is to see her smile.

Those smiles that makes my heart leap and those smiles that stops the world from moving as if my world only revolves around her.

She held my hand. How I wish I could hold her hand forever. But I can't it's Ryoichi's.

Ryoichi and Reed are the one who are made for each other and not me. I may have the Eye of Love but her heart will never be mine and her love will always be his.

She ran to a concrete wall that serves serves as a view deck of the mountains of Baguio.

Sinubukan niyang umakyat doon ngunit hindi niya kaya dahil masyado itong mataas. I carry her and she released a little squeal when I touched her waist.

I held onto her waist as a support and looked at her beautiful face looking down into me– unto my eyes.

She's smiling at me and her eyes twinkling like a morning star shining so brightly.

"May sasabihin ako." Her voice a beautiful song in my ears. How can I be so lucky that I fell in love with such an angel? Loving her is enough and being with her for a while is the greatest gift of all.

"Happy Birthday, Dieve." She started she took in a deep breath and smiled. "Tayo na." Malawak ang ngiti na wika niya and my eyes widen.

"You mean?" Tumango siya at lalong ngumiti. "Yes, as of October 4, 2034. We are a couple." She smiled.

I couldn't contain the joy and excitement that I hugged her tight on her waist. "I love you, Reed."

I love her. I never set my eyes to any other woman. I loved her since we are a kids.

Even if we have gone apart I can't stop but think of where she is already and if I'll be able to see her again.

That day under the rain. That day that I saw her again, I know that I have to do something for her. I know she's the girl I wanted to offer my life. The girl that I love ever since.

The pain is intolerable. I want to hug her for the last time. I never kept my promise.

I can't erase the fact that I love her. I didn't reset any of my feelings and I didn't even want to. I loved her that I can't stop any minute or even the rest of my life loving her.

Maybe this will be the stop of all of it. I'm welcoming my end just for her. I set her free maybe she'll be much happy with him.

I tried to reach to her but I became so weak. I didn't want to but the sounds around me slowly became inaudible and my eyes suddenly felt so heavy. Darkness slowly succumbs my consciousness and all I can do is to surrender.

"I'm sorry. I love you, Reed."