01: Mirror, Mirror

The reflection in the mirror shocked Brena. Could it be the desired change she longed for is finally happening? She couldn't believe what she saw. The dark circles underneath her dark brown eyes have mysteriously faded and her rich brown skin is now acne-free.

What a time to be alive.

She turned on the faucet to wash her hands in the rusty bathroom sink, when her phone rang, vibrating in her pocket. She ripped the brown paper towel off the dispenser on the wall and quickly answered. A smile clouded her face when she saw the familiar name calling.

"Hi, aunty."

"My sweet Brena." Katerina's soft voice said.

Brena's smile widened. "How are you?"

"I am well. I called to see how you're doing..." She pauses.

"You can say it aunty. It's okay."

Katerina sighed. "I know that time of the year is coming up soon."

Brena's smile instantly disappeared. "I mean, I'm okay. I guess." She shrugged.

Katerina could hear the tightness in Brena's voice. She pulled her blue cotton sweater closer to her chest and sat down on the grey park bench. "These things take time my dear but I want you to know that I'm keeping you in my prayers. I can't imagine the heaviness in your heart."

"I appreciate that, aunty Katerina. Thank you so much."

"I want you to remember this. A time will come when the pain you feel will become nonexistent."

"We'll see about that." Brena blinked three times to delay the tears threatening to spill. "I'm at the mall right now aunty so I can't really talk." She choked out.

"I'm so sorry dear." Katerina said, regretfully.

"That's okay." Brena half-smiled, tucking the curls that sprung out of her ponytail behind her ears. "I'll call you soon or you can call me because it's hard to reach you these days."

"I am juggling way too much but I'll make time for one of my favorites. Love you."

"I love you too, aunty. Bye."

Brena sighed, ending the call. She turned to her side and stared at the mirror before her. The tears she fought so hard to conceal, broke free.

"Not here." She sniffled.

While her 5'4 petite frame gazed into the mirror, she noticed she was regaining the weight she lost during her time of grief and that made her exceedingly happy. Brena's brown skin is warm and rich with a golden undertone. The past year was a dark time for her, which is why the transformation she saw made her heart glow with joy.

It has been a year and 9 months.

A year and 9 months had gone by since the death of her mother, Victoria, who was a remarkably upscale businesswoman in New York City. She adopted Brena at the young age of two. Katerina is the Catholic Nun who suggested adoption as the solution to Victoria's barrenness.

Victoria had everything anyone could ask for, or so the world thought. But after her second divorce, she searched for happiness that her acquired wealth couldn't compensate for. The burning hole in her life needed the happiness that only a child could provide.