30.1: The Last Supper

FLASHBACK

AT the crack of dawn, Kevin James was already awake before the rest of the world rose from their slumber. He hopped into his 1993 black Mercedes-Benz-C- Class vehicle and drove to The French Twist Cafe that was located on the secluded part of Baltimore.

Two days ago, he attempted to sneak his way into Linda's home wanting to spend the night with her when he gave her a ride. He knew that Steven wouldn't be coming back home that evening, for good. His agenda was crushed when Linda booted him out, depriving him from what he wanted.

When he got home later that night, he called her to ask if Steven and Brena made it home. She told him that they still didn't reach home yet but downplayed her worry to end their conversation. She was trying to make things right even if it meant to limit their conversations until she was able to decide what she wanted to do with their baby.

Kevin pretended to care about her uneasy mind by putting any thought of her wanting to go out in search of them. He pointed out to her, that if she did want to go to the police station, they couldn't do anything about it while the hurricane ran its course and that Steven and Brena may have found somewhere to stay for the night and they would be home in the morning.

He wore his dark Tom-Ford shades as he cruised down the dreary highway that was now turned upside down. Tons of leaves were scattered on the roads. Trees fell down flat on top of power lines along with the large billboards. Kevin was impatient as he made his way to attend his meeting with Rocky and Hatchet. He tapped his fingers nervously on the steering wheel while matching the beat of the song playing.

Parking his car into the empty lot, Kevin looked in the mirror and used the small comb to slick his gel-filled hair back. Patting the stubborn strand to stay down in the middle of his head, Kevin groaned feeling annoyed as he stepped out of the car.

Rocky and Hatchet were already inside waiting for their boss. They barely made it to their respective homes the night of the hurricane due to the heavy winds. On their way to the cafe, Hatchet promised to keep the truth about their mission if Rocky told Kevin he was resigning from the clan.

Therefore, relieving Rocky of his leadership duties and making Hatchet in charge. Something Hatchet has desperately wished for years. Unfortunately, Rocky had no choice but to obey Hatchet's petition.

Monica's song, Before you walk out of my life was the only sound that filled the air in the cafe as it played from the jukebox near the back door.

When the glass door pushed open, they stood up from the beige cushioned leather seat when they saw Kevin entering the quiet cafe.

"Good-morning boss." They greeted in unison.

Kevin pressed down both sides of the sunglass's arms after sliding it off his eyes to take a look at the two men in front of him.

"You know why they call it a good morning right? He questioned them seriously, hoping that they would give him the answer he needed to hear.

The frightened duo shook their head, saying yes, that they were knowledgeable about the meaning behind the popular expression.

"Good. So you better have the good part to make my morning a good one. You." He pointed his finger to Hatchet after he sat.