21: Hope

THREE weeks ago when Brena was admitted to the hospital after the accident, she was unconscious but now she's officially in a coma. Everyone's lives have changed after hearing the news. So far Evan, Rachael, Shanice, Jennifer, Juliana, Imani, and Chyna have visited her.

Desmond and Lillian created a schedule this way, Brena isn't alone. Mondays through Wednesdays, Lillian went to the hospital in the afternoon. Then Thursday's through Saturday she'd stay from morning till afternoon.

Desmond gave her time off and he would go there every night and leave during the morning when Lillian arrived. He has been finding it difficult to focus on work. Seeing her that way broke his heart into a million pieces. All he could think about was her smile, her sass, her voice, and the smart remarks Brena always had.

For the first time in his life, he decided to turn to a higher power. When Lillian came this morning, he told his driver to take him to the nearby church. In 4 minutes, they reached Zion Shiloh Baptist Church. He steps out and pushes the black gate in front of the building. Desmond walks to the door and knocks but there wasn't a response.

He tries pulling it but it's locked so he turns around in defeat and was about walking away when the door creaked loudly, a man came out. "Can I help you son?" He asks kindly.

Desmond spins around feeling slightly startled. He sees an average 5'8 man who is brown in complexion with grey beards and a grey mustache. Desmond thinks he could be a pastor.

"No-yes." He responds confusingly then sighs, "I'm sorry. I'm new at this. I just wanted to come in and talk to you know the-" he pauses to look up at the bright blue sky with white clouds floating.

"The big man upstairs." He completed his sentence. The man could see the dilemma and fear in his eyes so he widened the door, "come inside." He says, tilting his head towards the church.

As Desmond walked in, the church was empty. It's early in the morning and a weekday so it was understandable. Desmond's eyes went to the plush red rug that was spread across the floor. There were 6 rows of espresso colored wooden church pew seats.

"I wasn't always a Christian. I never knew how to talk to God. Till I understood there wasn't one way to talk to Him. Go on your knees, and ask for what you want." The man says to him while he looks around the church.

"A friend of mine is in the hospital. I just want her to get well fast." Desmond tears his gaze away trying not to sound too emotional.

The man walks closer, "I'm a pastor here. Sounds to me she's very special. Have a seat anywhere you'd like and speak from your heart. The Lord will hear you." He assures in a sincere tone.

Desmond felt inspired and relaxed when the Pastor spoke to him. Looking over to the front, his eyes came back to the pastor but he wasn't there anymore.

His eyes crinkled because of how strangely he vanished. Pushing the feeling to the side, he walks over and sits down slowly on the seat that's right in front of the altar. His hands interlock and he looks up to the golden cross that was hanging against the glass window next to the plants in vases. It was behind the brown contemporary pillar style acrylic pulpit.

Staring straight at the cross, Brena's face flashed in front of him. He blinks rapidly and sighs in frustration. "I don't know how to do this. Alexis would always tell me to pray but ever since Dad died I can't remember the last time I asked you for help." He says out loud in a defensive yet concerned tone.