25.2: Shut Up & Drive

AS soon as Desmond received the text message from Lillian, he takes a quick nap before he steps out of his penthouse. By the time he wakes up, it's almost 8:00 pm.

"Damn it." He grumbles in a whisper after looking at his phone to check the time.

He jumps out of the bed hastily putting on the shoes that he placed by the bed earlier so he could get dressed faster. He's wearing white sneakers, light wash blue jeans, and a dark grey wool sweater to compliment his look.

As he walks out of the room, he enters the kitchen to collect the white plastic bag sitting on the island. It contains Jollof rice and suya. Brena's favorite meal. Taking his phone out of his pocket, he texts his driver to bring the Lexus out front. Desmond opens the coat closet by the elevator and chooses to wear the dark blue bubble jacket to complete his outfit.

On his way to the hospital, the traffic along the way delays the 40 mins drive. Making it an hour's drive. Desmond is beating himself up mentally for being late. He's not good with pressure especially when it involves the hospital. When he lost his father, he wasn't there to see him take his last breath. The regret still lingers in his soul till this day. Since then he hasn't been fond of hospitals.

He signs the visitor's log at the front desk before taking the elevator to Brena's floor. Upon his arrival, the floor was crowded and the nurses were very occupied so he wasted no time heading for Brena's room. Brena was fast asleep because of the medication that was administered to her. He quietly walks up to her bedside and places a kiss on her forehead.

Whimpering softly at his touch, she flutters her eyes repeatedly getting rid of the blurriness from her sight. Brena shifts her head to her right-hand side and sets her eyes on a dashing Desmond. His fragrance was intoxicating. Every visit, he wears the cologne she loves. The one he was wearing the day they first met at the mall when he assisted her with the burn in her eye.

Brena flashes him a faint smile. Using her elbows to plop herself up, Desmond places the food on the chair so he can help her up. She groans in pain as she comes up. Fluffing the pillow for her comfort, he moves the strand of hair away from her face and tucks it behind her ear.

"Hola, Bella."

He greets her in Spanish while calling her beautiful. Brena's cheeks rise up as she starts blushing. "Hola. Te extrañé mucho."

Brena says how much she missed him. She's embarrassed by what happened earlier. Sadly, she's still struggling with her speech although her Spanish is excellent.

Desmond gives her a boyish grin.

Licking his lips, he replies coyly. "I missed you too." Desmond then kisses her cheek.

He misses her sassy remarks and their flirty bickering. His one wish right now was for her to quickly heal so he can take care of her. To hold her tight in his arms. Her lack of makeup and messy hair made her even more appealing. Desmond admires her natural beauty. Even with the dull colors in the room, she managed to glow.

He wasn't sure if she loved him back. It's too soon and he's aware that they haven't known each either for a long time but he couldn't resist. He couldn't the fight emotions he felt. Something keeps drawing him to her. You can call it a divine connection or coincidence. He prays to God every day that she's able to keep that beautiful smile of hers.