03: No Call, No Show

TWO MONTHS LATER

THINGS are starting to look up for Brena and Lillian since the night they made amends. Things are doing so good that they even kept their promise to attend therapy sessions. Though Brena still hates the idea, she has no choice but to go.

When she makes a promise, she tends to keep it.

It is currently the month of December and that means two things. The fall semester coming to an end for for all college students and the holiday season is fast approaching. Many may not know it, but Christmas holds a special place in Brena's heart.

She and her mother, Victoria, would cook up a feast every year. In New York City, the atmosphere during the holidays was spectacular, magical in fact mostly in Manhattan. In the hood, it's completely different compared to what is represented on TV but it was still enjoyable by its occupants.

Victoria and Brena would go to at least three shelters nearby to give away food and clothing to the less fortunate. Victoria's quote every time they embarked on the journey was that:

We are not human beings having a spiritual experience, we are spiritual beings having a human experience.

Those words stuck with her and it was one of the things that kept her humble and assisted in her daily decision making. Last year, she didn't give to the shelters, due to the rough place she was in emotionally. Her mother's absence made it hard to fulfill the yearly task. It just didn't feel the same going there without Victoria by her side.

This month, she took a step towards her healing journey and that meant she was going to go all the way out for the shelters. Feeling guilty for her negligence, she knew her mother would have scolded her.

No matter how low life drops you or how high it takes you, kindness is always an act to exhibit.

She could hear Victoria telling her that two years ago while she was depressed. Truthfully speaking, Brena is still a working progress. She couldn't wait to be done with therapy. She loathed the idea of being vulnerable to anyone. Only her late mother and Lillian knew how soft she was on the inside.

"Ms. Phillips?" The male voice echoes, reviving her attention back to reality.

"Ye- yes sorry about that." she stutters in an effort to respond.

The man he takes off his glasses and straightens his brown tie. "That's quite alright. I asked you how did you feel the night you got the call about your mother?"

Brena is at her therapy session but this time she was riding solo. Meaning, Lillian was absent. They ended up having to sign up for six sessions. Which wasn't Brena's plan but there are a lot of issues she didn't even know lingered. Her stubbornness would drag this out for a while. Although she isn't close to starting the new program, Brena still hopes for this meeting to be her last.

The words of her therapist replays in her head. "Until I feel like we've made progress the sessions come to an end."

That final session would be with Lillian.

Sitting up straight, she fixes her mustard-colored belted top, mentally rolling her eyes as she takes a deep breath. "I mean, how else was I supposed to feel? I was devastated." She mutters, staring down at her feet. "Still am..and I never said she passed."