19.1: Business & Pleasure

BRENA

I was parked outside of the Hilton hotel waiting for time to go by. I was early as always. My mother always said,  first impressions matter. And I've tried to live by that principle growing up. To the extent, I was known for perfect attendance throughout my educational career. As I ate my breakfast, I scroll through my phone and saw that Lillian texted me last night.

We have to talk boo. I think someone is following me.

I almost choked on my food and gave her a call immediately.

"LJ. Where are you?" I ask while dusting off the crumbs that fell from my flatbread sausage, egg, and cheese breakfast sandwich.

She sounds tired. "I'm home. I'm still in bed but I have to get ready for class."

My heartbeat slowed down a little. "I'm sorry for responding late. I'm here at the Hilton's for that meeting I told you about."

Lillian yawns. "It's fine boo." She says slowly. " I was serious though when I said I think I'm being followed. I'm not sure who it is. It's a Toyota Avalon and I've seen it three times now."

I press my phone on my shoulder and save the rest of my sandwich by stuffing it into the container I brought from home. "Did you see the plate number?"

"Nah, I didn't but I'm gonna tell Damien. I'm gonna come up with a plan to lure whoever's behind the wheel. Then Damien will beat the shit out of them so they can tell us what's going on."

I giggle even though I knew she was serious about the last part. "Damien gonna beat them up real bad I can see it now."  I shut the door close after getting out of the car.

Lillian laughs. "Yeah, my lil bodyguard." She gushes.

"Y'all are cute." I reply.

Lillian smacks her lips. "We are." She sighs. "I'm a little scared though. Like who would want to follow me?"

As I entered the building, the clicking sound that came from my black leather Jimmy Choo heels was annoying me. "I would be scared too. You have every right to be scared. Things are getting weirder by the minute." I pause. "Hold up, boo."

I tear my phone away from my ear and hold it. "Good morning, I'm Brena Phillips. I'm here for the 11:00am meeting." I spoke to the receptionist.

"Good morning. And sure can I have your ID please?"

As I hand her my ID card , I can have Lillian over the phone. "We'll talk later. Try not to fall asleep during the meeting."  Lillian suggests.

"Yeah, we have to. I'll try I'm tired though. Be careful please." I advise, sounding a little bit like my mother.

I notice I didn't feel sad thinking of her for the first time. This is was growth for me. I'm sure Mr.Williams would be proud. Speaking of, I have to give him a call and thank him.

After the receptionist handed me back my ID, I entered the elevator and went up to the designated floor. I was running 5 minutes late because I couldn't find the room number unaware that it was all the way at the end of the hall. Sadly, this information wasn't precise enough. It was too vague. I stopped to straighten out my jacket. I wore a black bodysuit inside a navy blazer set with skinny high waist pants.