12.3: Excuses & Risks

BRENA

"10,9,8,7,6,5,4,2,1.... Happy New Year!" The congregation shrieked with enthusiasm.

The countdown was displayed on a large black screen on the wall behind the altar. The numbers decreased in a 3D effect with a splash of different colors in the background. The voices in the ovation were thunderous and full of joy as celebration filled the atmosphere.

Lillian and I go to church yearly to usher in the New Year. Her parents aren't believers but that didn't stop her from joining my mother and I. The only year she missed was the previous one but it's good to have her back. I turned to my right hand side to give Lillian a warm hug.

Thank God for everything. I'm in a better place and we are blessed enough to see another year.

During our embrace, Lillian leaned in closer and screamed, "Felice Anno Nuovo!" Into my ear.

I almost forgot she spoke Italian. It's been so long since I've heard her utter her second tongue.
Chuckling at her excitement, we hugged again before I responded.

"Happy New Year! God is so good. We made it!"

We directed our attention back to the pastor as he led us into a ten-minute praise and worship session to conclude the service. We danced till our feet hurt. It was always a pleasure to be in God's house for a New Year service. I know my night was just getting started though. LJ might drag me to the club.

After sharing the Grace in unison, the service was brought to an end. The service ended at 12:30 am, leaving us with more than enough time to end up wherever Lillian will take us to. I greeted some of the ushers and other workers of the ministry as we headed out. They kept reminiscing the days I and my mother were involved in the church when she was alive. They were proud of how much I've grown and happy to see me back in church.

The cold breeze greeted us when we stepped out of the building. It was freezing, so I pulled my fur coat closer to my body for warmth. My edge of my heels pressed on the heavy snow that fell yesterday. It was as hard as a rock. Every corner you turned, there were heaps of solid snow. At least the one here was still pure. The white snow glistened underneath the moonlight unlike the one around around my neighborhood, which was dirty.

"I can't lie Bren. It felt good being back. I love coming here and the people are so nice. You know?" Lillian said as we strolled to the car.

I was slipping my Bible into my handbag while I responded. "Yeah I know. You mean how all the guys came up to us after the service? Yeah they were nice." I teased, smiling at her.

A lot of guys kept coming up to us after the service ended. If it's one thing churches are known for, it's the way the guys hit on you. They would try to use the Bible study or evangelism excuse just so they could get your number and eventually ask you out.

As the wind pushed her hair in her face, she swept the strands away and tucked it behind her ears. "They were okay but not like Damien but you know what I mean." She groaned, rolling her eyes.

I've been trying to get her to say Damien's name since the night they went out but she won't budge. I think she's still embarrassed about the kiss. I unlocked the car and Lillian entered inside before me. I placed my bag in the back seat and shut the door.