07: Prisoner

"TIME's up, pencils down!"

The loud voice of Brena's professor, Ms.Dupre, startles her while she shaded in her last multiple choice answer on the white and green scantron paper.

She couldn't look at her watch to tell the time because Professor Dupre confiscated all the electronic devices from every student in the class. Brena looks through all 50 questions making sure every one of them was filled in. She was at peace knowing this was her last exam and the sweet taste of victory lingers on the tip of her tongue for she knew that she has passed the exam. It was exhilarating feeling.

Another reason for her joy is because this wasn't no ordinary course. This was her criminology class and it wasn't an easy class. Before Professor Dupre came around to take the tests, Brena closes her eyes to mentally say a quick prayer.

"Dear God, thank you for wisdom, knowledge, and understanding, I've done my part so Lord it's your turn to do yours. I pray I pass with flying colors in Jesus' name, Amen."

"Ahem ahem." Professor Dupre clears her throat, gaining Brena's attention."Ms.Phillips?"

"Yes?" She responds. Not knowing that her was on top of the exam paper.

"Your paper?" She questions, stretching out her hand indicating for Brena to place it right on her palm.

"Oh." Brena says a little too loudly.

I guess my prayer wasn't as quick as I thought it was. Oops. She thought.

She hands her both the test paper and the Scranton sheet. After submission, Brena walks out of the classroom and steps to the corner to do her silly happy dance. She knew wherever her mother, Victoria, was, she watching and chuckling at her foolishness. It was official. Brena graduates in the spring semester with her bachelor's degree. Even after she took a year off, Brena couldn't believe it. She's still finishing a year early but right on time. Truth be told, she's overwhelmed by the thought of it all but mostly excited.

Now that the drama with Tamia and Lillian is over, her exams are now finished with, and therapy is almost done, it's safe to say it's time to have some fun. The juggling between school and work is an exhausting lifestyle that was becoming overbearing for Brena. She makes her way home with excitement blanketed around her. Lillian is supposed to come over so they could go to their therapy session for the afternoon. It's been 3 weeks since the unexpected scene that took place at Lillian's house.

Brena is happy about the progress Lillian is making. As for her and therapy? She and Mr.Williams had to discuss one more thing that was currently affecting her and let's just say Brena is highly guarded and refuses to get to the bottom of it.

~~***~~

FLASHBACK

"Brena, you have to focus. Can you do that please?" Mr.Williams pleaded in a whisper as she cried.

He set his folder down and leaned back, resting his elbows on the arms rest on the chair. As he took his reading glasses off, he added, "I know breakups are hard and what he did wasn't right but you can't let that hold you back in life."

"I know that but who cheats on their girlfriend and gets the bitch pregnant?" Brena laughed bitterly, recollecting one of the most heartbreaking days of her life. "You know the funny part about it?" She sniffled, tucking her slightly damp coils behind her right ear.