02: By-gones

LILLIAN dropped Brena off at her home, after they stopped at the nearby Walgreens pharmacy to purchase an eye drop.

One that she was desperately in need of.

They were scheduled for dinner at Ricardo's restaurant later that evening at 8:00 pm in order to catch up. They had to hatch out the issues that have become a stumbling block in their friendship.

When Brena steps out of the shower, she applies her makeup on, sleeks her natural hair down in a high bun that sits in the middle of her crown and she's almost ready to go. Until, she realizes there wasn't an outfit prepared for the night.

Being indecisive on what to wear, she randomly selects a buttoned olive-green jumpsuit. It has a camouflage print and a clean cut V-neck design. When she wears it, she leaves two buttons undone.

"A lil cleavage ain't ever hurt nobody." She muttered, admiring her reflection in the mirror.

Brena pairs the jumpsuit with a brown Louis Vuitton purse alongside a Louis Vuitton strappy sandal heel that fit perfectly with her red-colored freshly done manicured toes. Once she's ready, she looks up at the wall clock hanging over the door that led into the bathroom. Acknowledging that time wasn't on her side, she concludes on giving the restaurant a call to inform them of her tardiness.

After she dials the number, a soft-spoken voice picks up. "Good evening Ricardo's Steakhouse. Maria speaking, how can I help you?"

Brena sighs nervously before responding.

"Good evening. My name is Brena Phillips and I have a reservation for 8 pm. A party of two. So, it looks like I'm gonna be running late and I apologize for that but I'll be there in an hour max." She glances at the time to mentally calculate the distance.

"Can you please reserve the table a little longer?" Brena says, listening to the sound of keyboards being pressed on in the background.

"Not a problem Ms.Phillips, I see your reservation here as you said and I've put it on hold for an hour. Does that work for you?"

A smile spreads on Brena's face. "Yes. It works just fine. Thank you so much. You're a lifesaver. Bye."

"Wonderful! See you soon." Maria replies then proceeds to hang up.

Letting out a sigh of relief, Brena walks over to her bed to grab her purse. She takes a good look at herself in the mirror in her bedroom then gives a satisfying smile at the sight of her breath-taking appearance.

Before walking out of her house, she grabs her car keys that laid flat on the black marble designed coffee table and walks outside.

It is a crispy cool fall evening in Brooklyn, New York. The orange leaves are scattered on the ground and the trees lightly sway to the wind. Brena assumes a jacket wasn't needed but remembered it was always colder in Manhattan so she climbs back up the stairs to quickly grab a green leather jacket that matches her outfit.

Around the corner holds the parking spot for her matte black Range Rover Evoque. New York City isn't exactly popular for parking spots if you find one it always feels like you hit the jackpot. The car was a gift from her late mother, Victoria, which is the reason why she wants to purchase a new one because of the memories the car embodies.