15.1: Magic Words

BIRTHDAYS for Lillian have always been celebrated in a grand style. Originally, Brena intended on planning a surprise party for Lillian's 22nd birthday but unfortunately, Lillian found out. She overheard Brena on the phone with the party organizers. While Lillian goes out to lunch with her father, Brena will drop-by her office so she could hand out invitations to Rachael, Imani, Shanice, Juliana, and Jennifer in person.

Though, she could have done it through email or text, Lillian sometimes uses her phone and she wasn't trying to let her in on the new plan. Brena caught Lillian tip-toeing away from the door when she ended her conversation with the planners. This made her start from scratch. She had to come up with a new plan. Apart from water and smoothies, mimosas were a close second when came to Lillian's preference in beverages. That gave Brena an idea.

Getting to the office building right on time, Brena receives a text message.

From: LJ
Wish me luck. On my way to devil's office now.

To: LJ
Aigh boo. Goodluck don't act suspicious.

It was now safe for her to go inside. Brena's schedule for the day is jam-packed. Once she leaves Lillian's office, her next stop is at the Manhattan office branch of Phillips & Co. There's a new deal on the rise with an Italian car manufacturing organization. They need the distribution facet of their luncheon in the United States to be overseen by her mother's company.

It was an entirely different move for the company. This made the board of supervisors get in contact with Brena requesting her presence at the office, to discuss the pros and cons of this new deal. To her, the most important task today was her meeting with Henry.

The look for the day was stylish but professional. She wore a white button-down long sleeve shirt, and tucked it inside a black high-waisted leather pants. Her nude colored Christian Louboutin pumps matched the creamy nude collar blazer she wore over the white shirt.

Her lips glistened naturally courtesy of the glossy nude lippie she applied while her hair was wrapped in a low middle part bun. The hairdo brought out her beaded dangle earrings. Holding on to her black Marc Jacobs leather crossbody bag, Brena strutted down the lobby with vast confidence. Her Lancôme la vie est belle fragrance swam in the air of the industrious territory, as both men, and women stared at her.

The Burberry square-shaped sunglasses enabled her to disregard the intense stares. If it's one thing a typical New Yorker hates, is to be stared at. She displayed her ID card to the receptionist and was given the ok to go up the elevator.

Brena was handing out the invitations in order. Rachael is located on the 25th floor while Shanice is on the 23rd. As for Imani, she was on the 20th. Jennifer is on the 18th and Juliana, on the 12th.

The elevator ride became longer because of how active the building was. Mostly men stepped in. They were either texting or engaged in a phone call. The body language of the individuals, made it easy to discern the assistants from the bosses.

After what seemed like ages, Brena finally made it to the 25th floor. When the elevator doors opened, her eyes met an empty desk. Rachael wasn't at her there so Brena pulled out her phone to text her. As she did so, Desmond came out of his office, taking a trip to the restroom. Locking his door, he looked up and saw Brena.

Her back was facing him so he knew she wasn't aware that he was standing behind her. He smiled to himself while he pressed his right shoulder against the wall and crossed his arms.