29.3: HeartBreak Alley

FLASHBACK

AFTER leaving Kevin's house, Linda headed to Mrs. Jones's house to take Brena home with her. She dropped her off with her grandmother while she went to sort out her issues with Kevin. When she arrived, 6 months old baby Brena was sleeping peacefully as her light snores floated in the air.

Linda stopped in her tracks and stared at her daughter in admiration of her stunning beauty. Tears slowly began to cloud her vision as she took a step forward and used her left hand to stroke Brena's hair.

Her right hand trailed down to her stomach to feel for her unborn baby. As she did so, she wasn't aware when Mrs.Jones came into the room standing by the door watching her.

"Are you okay darling?" Mrs.Jones asked softly.

Linda quickly turned to the side and dried her tears with her hands. "Yes, I am." She deeply exhaled while picking her head up.

Mrs.Jones completely entered the bedroom and rested her left-hand on Linda's shoulder. "How are you feeling?"

Linda reached her hand over her shoulder and held Mrs.Jones's hand and smiled. "Like a disappointment. I feel like I've failed her."

She glanced down at her lap and started to fiddle with her nails.

"You're an amazing mother and wife. Not many can be both my dear. You're loyal, kind, and hardworking." Mrs.Jones lifted Linda's chin.

Laughing sarcastically, Linda looked up and her eyes dug a hole into her mother-in-law's soul as she stared directly at her eyes.

"Am I really?" She questioned. "All those things you just... said." She crocked in between mild sobs.

Mrs.Jones placed her left hand over Linda's forehead to get a feel of her body temperature. "You look pale and your temperature is high."

Just as Mrs. Jones tried to figure out what was going on with her, Linda got up abruptly and ran directly down the hall heading to the toilet. The morning sickness was getting worse and more noticeable by the minute.

After purging her stomach empty, she slowly got up and turned on the sink to rinse her mouth and wash her hands.

"Everything okay?" Mrs.Jones inquired suspiciously while standing by the door.

Linda turned off the water and dried her hands. "Yeah. Probably something I ate." She lied, nervously.

Mrs.Jones seized her up and down and her intuition was able to see through Linda's lies. Instead of confronting her, she played along.

"You need to slow down. You've been working overtime for months now." She advised while walking behind Linda as they exited the bathroom.

Linda picked up Brena cautiously and tucked her inside of the stroller. "I will Ms.Aleesha. Thank you for everything." She said in a whisper, trying not to wake Brena up.

Collecting Brena's bags, Linda hugged Mrs.Jones before she suggested escorting them to the bus stop. In fifteen minutes time, they entered the bus and went straight home.

Throughout the ride, Linda tried to build up the courage to face Steven so she could tell him the truth. It was the noble thing she could do because he deserved it. Although their path has been rocky of late, Steven was a good man and that was the main reason she fell in love with him.