13: Unforgettable

TWO YEARS AGO

"SWEETHEART, are you sure?" Concern coated Victoria's tone as she asked Brena. This was her third time proposing a party for Brena's 21st birthday.

Victoria lifted her hands up in the air, moving her shoulders up and down mimicking the dance moves she's seen Brena do at home. "Don't you want to get lit? Isn't that how y'all young people say it these days?"

Brena giggled at her mother's silliness, slowly carrying her gaze to the window. The mother-child dyad are out for lunch at Porterhouse Steakhouse in Manhattan. Brena took a sip from her glass of red wine as she and Victoria conversed. Since her birthday is only a week away, Victoria granted her permission to have a drink with her.

They sat across each other on a grey velvety textured couch with the window  adjacent to their seat. The seating position presented a beautiful view of Columbus's circle, a heavily trafficked interaction in the heart of New York City, on 8th Avenue. It wasn't too far from Victoria's office which makes it the perfect meetup lunch spot.

The pink flower inside of the grey vase was placed in the middle of the table, blending perfectly with the grey and white color theme. It was a busy day at the restaurant so the noise level was louder than usual.

Brena stretched forth to hold her mother's free hand. "Ma, please stop. You look crazy." Brena said, feeling embarrassed. "And yes, I'm sure. I just feel like spending it with you. Lately, you've been super busy and I want us to spend quality time with each other." She shrugged sheepishly. "I miss you."

Victoria squeezed her daughter's hand, using her thumb to stroke Brena's knuckles. Her face fell into a small frown as Brena's words dragged out her guilt. Brena was right. Victoria has been extra busy of late and now, it's starting to affect the relationship she has with her daughter. This is a promise she made to herself that work would never interfere with family. All she can do is hope that the reason makes up for lost times.

Looking at Brena, guilt danced its way into her tone. "Sweetie, your wish is always my command. I miss you more than you know, believe me, baby." She said regretfully.

"It could be like old-time you know?" Brena replied. "Plus, Lillian is away with her parents and Lamarr is working so.." Brena's eyes fall to her lap, feeling lonely at how limited her options were.

Victoria furrowed her brows together curiously. "Do you know where they traveled to?"

Brena wiped the side of her slightly stained mouth with the napkin next to the stainless fork. "Mexico. Why?"

Victoria took a bite of her well-cooked salmon before responding. "No reason." She replied dismissively. "And you know I don't like that boy. Something about him doesn't sit right with me."

Rolling her eyes, Brena looked out the window chewing on the bits of her burger. "Ma..." She groans. "Not this again."

"Yes, this again. How many times have I told you to steer clear of him but you choose to disobey me every time. I'll be sure to tell your ass I told you so when you come crying to me." Victoria warned, pointing her fork at Brena.

~~***~~

THE PRESENT

Brena has been having flashbacks. It started last night up till this morning. At times, she beats herself up for not listening to her mother about Lamarr. Victoria had a gift for knowing things and feeling things others couldn't. It went beyond the usual maternal instincts.