29.4: A Stormy Night

FLASHBACK

THICK droplets of rain poured on top of the 1994 silver Ford Taurus vehicle. It slowly trickled down the windows as they drove further into the city. Black and grey clouds were seated across the sky while women, men, and kids ran frantically as they fled from the rain.

Most of them held up newspapers over their head whereas some wore plastic bags. A few of the pedestrians refused to pay mind to the rain as they strolled alongside others who anticipated the storm as they opened up their umbrellas.

Steven clung tightly onto Brena in apprehension of what the future held for the both of them. Everything about the situation was deceitful and catastrophic. What he couldn't understand was that the previous night he confronted her to see if there was anything she was holding back from him but rather than her speaking up, she stuffed the truth inside her mason jar of lies.

Despite the trust they've built for years, she still failed to confide in him by withholding the truth. "Was it the money? " He mumbled his thoughts aloud, gazing out the window to see kids ranging from ages 8-11 assembled in a circle, dancing happily, twirling in the rain.

They looked completely free until their parents or possible guardians yanked them off the playground and carried them off to safety. As for Linda, she was still at the office building concluding the hiring process.

The crackling sound of the thunder prompted her to look up at the window on the right side of the stairwell as she cheerfully went down the stairs, with her black colored single sole ankle strap heels rhythmically making clicking noises.

She was able to catch a glimpse of the rain as it spewed heavily against the foggy square-shaped aluminum glass, with her gorgeously captivating dark brown eyes. Groaning in annoyance, she rolled her eyes and continued to go downstairs till she reached the first floor.

Carefully retrieving her brown-colored wallet out of her black-colored handbag, Linda ransacked the pockets in hopes of finding extra cash to hail a cab. The atom of faith she felt quickly diminished when she discovered that she had insufficient funds. Leaving her feeling devastated, realizing she was stuck at her current location.

When she walked over to the receptionist, she requested to make use of the office landline because her phone's battery was dead. Once the young woman agreed, Linda began to dial Steven's number. She placed her left hand on her hip while tapping her foot on the ceramic wood flooring.

"Pick up!" She shouted in a whisper, pulling the phone out from her ears to redial the number.

After five attempts to call Steven, the end result was identical to the first. There was no response. The receptionist picked her head up to see the corner of Linda's downturned lips imprisoned by frown lines as disappointment fused with irritation radiated on her makeup-free face.

"Is there anyone else you'd like to call?" She questioned Linda.

Linda shook her head immediately mouthing the word, no as the receptionist placed the phone down. While Linda took her hands to the back of her head to undo her ponytail, the receptionist increased the volume with the remote to the silver Sony box TV that was hung above Linda's head.

The electronic device sparked her interest, when the troubling headline flashed across the screen.

"The winds will slowly start to pick up around 6 pm while the rain continues to increase." The woman dressed in a red blazer with pearls seated around her neck, informed the audience watching, pointing to the map behind her.