23: Rare

AT Brooklyn Hospital Center, Brena lays down quietly with her eyes closed. Desmond is asleep with his left hand holding onto her warm left hand. It's about to be two weeks since he went to church for prayers.

Since then, all he has been doing is praying. Morning and night. He spoke to his sister, Alexis. This experience changed his faith and perspective on life.

With light yet vibrating snores coming from his nostrils and throat, an unbelievable miracle that no one foresaw was about to take place right in front of him.

Unexpectedly, Brena's eyes are still closed but she tries matching her breaths to the beeping of the machines that surrounded her bedside. Those were the only reminders that she was still alive. The sounds signified her heart rate, her blood pressure, and everything pertaining to her existence.

Even though her legs were numb, the only thing she saw as her eyes were closed was a white room. It felt like she was waiting for something, but she didn't know what. The worst thing was that she could feel people hold her hand and she could feel the nurses bathing her, but she couldn't move or open her eyes, she just couldn't do anything and it terrified her.

It was time for the prayers to be put to work. After days of trying to know what was happening, Brena slowly forced her swollen eyes to open. Her eyes met a dismal view of a dark grey room. With an expresso brown door. Feeling overwhelmed and confused, she slid her eyes sideways to see Desmond asleep. He looks peaceful and completely unaware.

This whole time, she looked forward to him coming to read to her. Although she wanted to speak, her mouth felt stitched together. Unable to move or yet alone utter a word.

Next to Brena was her chart.

Name: Brena Phillips
Age: 23
Patient Status: stable
Sex: Female
Date Of Admission: 1:45 am
Cause of Admittance: Car Crash
Diagnosis: Coma
Duration: Unknown

Her blurred vision couldn't make out the rest of the information on the printed white sheet of paper. Desmond blinks a few times as his eyes open slowly. He sits up straight and looks over at Brena.

His eyes widen in disbelief when he saw the movement coming from her fingers which led him to gaze up at her face. She was awake.

"Brena?" He whispers. "Nurse!"

Desmond shouts while running out of the room in search of a nurse or hopefully a doctor. Just when he steps out he ran into the nurse who bathes Brena every day.

"What is it? Is she okay?" she asks with fear clouding her facial expression as they run back to the room.

"Look," Desmond says in barely a whisper pointing to Brena. She pages for the doctor and he rushes in quickly.

"She's awake," Dr. Allen exclaims with a small smile forming against his lips. "Hey, Brena. You're okay. You're in Brooklyn Hospital Center." He says while checking her vitals.

He removes the oxygen mask so she could speak. "What do you remember last?"

Brena squints her eyes looking puzzled. "Estaba lloviendo y," looking over at Desmond who was confused.

Spanish? He wondered.

"Y yo conducía." She recollects bits and pieces of the accident.