33: A Match

REFUSING to sit, Brena, Henry, and Valentina remained standing while nurse Renèe explained the severity of Steven's condition.

"Gunshot abdominal wounds are no joke. He lost a lot of blood by the time he got here." Nurse Renèe says.

"So what are you trying to tell us?" Henry questions, sighing defeatedly.

Her eyes widen when she realizes they misinterpreted her words. "No, he's not dead but if we don't get him what he needs, it could be really bad."

Henry's brows shoot up in a panic. "What does he need?"

"A blood transfusion."

Valentina scrunches her face irritatedly. "Doesn't every hospital have a blood bank?" She questions calmly, attempting to conceal her anger.

"That we do." The nurse nods, turning to her. "But we have a shortage of type O negative blood which happens to be his blood type. The downside is that only people with same blood type as him can donate blood to him."

"So his blood type is O negative and only people with type O negative blood can give him blood?" Henry asks, trying to understand.

Nurse Renèe nods. "That is correct."

"How the hell can a hospital be out of blood?" Henry shouts, feeling nervous. Valentina places her hand over his shoulders to comfort him. He glances at her and his face softens.

"It does happen and because type O negative blood is universal, it's prone to run out first. I'm sorry but I have to ask for your blood types. That's," Nurse Renèe looks at all three of them. "If you're willing to donate." She says in a quizzical tone.

Henry sighs frustratedly, taking a seat. "I would but my blood type is A positive." He responds.

Valentina shakes her head pitifully, drowning in disappointment. "Mine is O positive."

The nurse shifts her gaze to Brena who was silent the entire time. "And what about you?"

In a hushed tone, Brena replies, "I'm not sure what my blood type is."

"That's okay. We can go and check right now but are you up for it? To give him your blood if you're a match?" Nurse Renèe asks.

Brena's heart feels like it's about to explode. Her body tenses up and her limbs grow weak. The nurse stares at her expectantly while Valentina and Henry glance at her, awaiting an obvious response. When Brena says nothing, Valentina roughly grabs her left arm and pulls her to the side.

"Brena, he needs you." Valentina pleads in a whisper.

Brena sighs irritatedly, turning to her head side.

Valentina laughs sarcastically, glaring at Brena. "You're so selfish." She accuses bitterly.

Immediately snapping her head back in shock, a scowl is painted on Brena's face as she responds. "How are the fuck am I selfish when I don't even know if I'm even a match?" She hisses. "Isn't he selfish too?" She questions, arching her brow.

"Brena, you have a chance to get your father and maybe even your family back. I don't!" Valentina screams fiercely, beating her chest. "My mother's gone and hell, my dad doesn't even know me. Okay, yeah your dad left but it wasn't because he wanted to." Valentina continues to rant with glossy eyes, fighting back tears.