14: Worth It

THE office phone began to ring when Desmond stepped out of his office. He stood by the corner, waiting for Rachael to finish taking the call.

"Rachael, tell Ms.James I'd like to see her in my office. And let Davis know that the order came directly from me." Desmond chimed in, instructing Rachael, his executive assistant.

Rachel happens to be Lillian friend and now, Brena's friend after Lillian introduced them at their office holiday party. Desmond's tone was a perfect blend of softness and authority. He sounded sexy without even trying. Doing as she was told, Rachael quickly dialed Lillian's office phone.

"Girl, boss man wants to see you so hurry your ass up." She yelled in a whisper.

Lillian shook her head, holding in a laugh. "I have no clue how you still have this job. You can't be professional for nothing." She chuckled. "Anyway, I'm coming. Give me a minute." She said into the two-line corded telephone.

Pushing out her seat, Lillian stood up and went to knock on her boss's door. "Excuse me, Mr.Davis?" She called out waiting for him to let her in.

"It's open." He simple stated.

She rolled her eyes at his flat grating tone. His attitude was becoming unbearable each day. Opening the door with the steel handle, Lillian walked in. "Sir, Mr.Johnson requested for me. I have to go upstairs. I'll be back soon." She informed him.

"Perfect, take these documents with you," He grunted. "And fill him in. We need those updated numbers." He handed her two tan and copper-colored leather folder files.

She took it from him and nodded. "Yes sir." She dismissed herself with a formal note. Walking out her boss's presence, Lillian made her way to Desmond's office. She stepped off the elevator and locked locked eyes with Rachael. She was seated on a black adjustable leather chair with a medium-sized cup of iced coffee from Starbucks. It was next to her olive green leather bag by Kate Spade.

Rachael's box braids were professionally wrapped to the side. The phone was pressed against her left ear as she wrote down some of the information she was getting from whoever was on the line. Her office corner is well furnished. There was a stylish double pedestal desk and a black and gold plaque nameplate. It was fit for an executive assistant.

As Lillian got closer, she heard a little bit of Rachael's conversation. "Alright, I have scheduled your meeting with Mr.Johnson for this Wednesday, January 15th at noon..." She paused. "My pleasure Mrs.Hamilton, you have a wonderful day. Goodbye."

Ending the call, Rachael jotted down some more details on a yellow sticky note before Lillian cleared her throat. "Ahem, ahem."Lillian announced her presence.

Lifting her head up quickly, Rachael smiled recognizing the familiar face in front of her. "Oh, hey girl."

"Hey." Lillian smiled back, clutching the files against her chest.

Rachael took a sip of her drink. "I ain't even see you there. Let me tell him you're here." She picked up the phone to call Desmond. "Okay sir." Rachael said, pointing her thumb to his office. That was a sign for Lillian to go in.

Lillian stood in front of the door for a second before entering. What could he possibly need me for? I hope Davis didn't complain about me. She thought before knocking on the double pocket matte black sliding door with frosted tempered glass. On the surface of the door was the logo of the company. Which was a double golden circle with Johnson Motors Empire written inside of the lines. In the middle of the circle was a sketch of an incomplete drawing of a car. Underneath the logo was the name of the office owner, written in bold cursive letters.