17: One Date

WHEN Damien left early in the morning, Lillian's plan was to sleep in all of Friday. This was also in Brena's favor, who was dealing with the reversal in her demeanor, after Detective Jacobi's visit on Thursday night. Lillian sent Brena a voice note on iMessage, telling her what happened last night. She was way too exhausted to make any phone calls. Normally, she would be working today.

Instead, she requested the weekend off because she was expecting the party Brena planned for her. Diverting her attention back to Lillian's birthday brunch, which was on Saturday, Brena decided to take a trip to Damien's sneaker store in Bedstuy, hoping to run into him in person. This was so she could ask for his presence at brunch.

"Hi, how you doing? Can I please speak to your boss?" She asked the saleswoman, standing by the entrance.

"No problem, who's asking?" She asked dryly.

Brena wasn't in the mood for anyone today honestly speaking, she was put off by her attitude. "Brena." Walking to the sitting area where customers tried on their shoes, Brena sat down waiting on him.

Damien came out of his office with a confused look on his face when he saw Brena. He was wondering what she was doing at his store, "Brena? what's good?" He said, hugging her sideways.

They sat back down. "Nothing much. I'm feeling your store though. Never knew you owned it." She took a look around in awe.

Turning her head back to him she began again, "I buy shoes from here sometimes that's crazy. As you should though. Supporting all black-owned businesses." She exclaimed happily, making Damien laugh.

"Thank you, appreciate it. Now I know you ain't here to talk about the store so wassup witchu'?" He tilted his head. Brena grabbed her purse. "So yesterday was LJ's birthday as you know." She zips it open. "And her ass overheard me on the phone with party organizers," She finally brought out the invitation. "Now she's expecting a party at the club but I caught her so I had to rearrange everything. Now we're going to have a birthday brunch instead."

Brena hands him the envelope. "Yeah, it's gonna be at Zengo, in the city. The information is on the invite. I know she would be happy if you could pop out feel me?" She gave a small smile.

Damien looks at the invite, reading the information. "Shit! Sounds good. I'mma be all up in there for sure. You're a great best friend for real. Good looks."

He got up and hugged her. "Anything for her. Thank you for making her feel special means a lot to me." Brena replied.

Damien lowered his head and smiled at the thought of Lillian. Brena could see how much he likes her and she is overjoyed with how their new relationship is blossoming. "For sure man. Aye look, be safe and imma see y'all tomorrow." He retreats to the office in the back of the store.

Lillian was woken up suddenly by the doorbell and a couple of knocking sounds. She was so deep asleep her eyes were temporarily swollen. Rolling over the bed, she fell. "Ugh!" She grumbled angrily in a raspy voice.

She was in limbo. Half-awake, half asleep. Dragging herself to the door while scratching her head and complaining about her sleep being cut short, the people waiting for her revived her state of mind immediately.

"Mom, Dad?" She asked drowsily. Squinting her eyes, trying to avoid the sunlight projecting into her eyes. "Oh!" She gasped. "Mom, dad come in, come in." She hugged them as they made their way into her living room.