25.1: Come Again?

LILLIAN

I have to confess that I'm nervous. Meeting Victoria after two years since her mysterious death isn't something I've ever imagined. I believe God was leading me down the right path.

First Brooklyn calls to tell me about her findings and now Henry is here taking me to the person who had the answers. It's unbelievable. I think back to the day I came back from Mexico with my mother.

My father left the trip abruptly on Brena's birthday. Leaving me and my mother to come back to the United States on our own. As soon as we touched down, I scrolled through my Instagram newsfeed.

The first post I stumbled upon was on TheShadeRoom. I can still recollect the headline. African-American Entrepreneur Victoria Phillips Of Phillips & Co. Is dead at The Age of 51.

Just when I was reading the caption, the television at the airport also carried the news. It felt like the world stopped. Brena instantly came to mind and I called her hastily.

There was no answer.

Tears were about to flow down but I had to hold myself. My father instructed us to turn off our cell phones. That's the reason I was hearing this news late.

After informing my mother, I rushed outside and hopped in a taxi heading straight to Brena's house.

"Lillian. Why are you investigating your father?"

I hear Henry ask me but his voice sounds muffled. It was due to my lack of paying attention.

We're inside the car on our way to the truth. The drive from New York City to Boston is approximately 4 hours and some change. I suggested we take a flight to save time but Henry refused because of my father.

Shifting my gaze from the window to stare at him in order to answer his question, I hesitate a little. "He had me followed so I had to find out why he did."

I know I should tell him the whole story but not yet. When I actually see Victoria and she tells me what the hell is going on, then I'll lay everything on the table.

"How long did you know Victoria was alive?" I blurted out.

I couldn't control myself. I'm itching for the truth because I need to get an understanding of the shit I'm going through.

"Since the day it happened." He simply said with his eyes still focused on the road.

I was taken aback by his statement.

"What?... How?" I question him confusingly.

Henry doesn't say anything. Instead, he takes his focus back on the road. It was starting to snow so I lay the side of my head on the windshield to count the snowflakes.

My eyes are about to shut close but the notification ringer on my phone brings me back. Without moving the position of my head, I used my left hand to pick up my phone and it was a text message from Damien.

You should have told me before you left with someone you barely know. FaceTime me when you get there.