31: Surprise

VAST cloak of morning dew draped down the quiet landscape with modern-day cabins and tall snowflake-filled trees. With the snow now solid, it attached itself to the ground and everywhere within the area.

The dew gracefully shimmered in the midst of the rising sun as the occupants in the vicinity began to wake up to a brand new day. The humming sound of tweeting birds rippled through the cold atmosphere. As the first notes burst in the air, the ray of sun shone brightly through Brena's transparent curtains.

As light as a white feather, her eyes open slightly, blinking, to eliminate the blur in her vision. Squinting at the powerful sunlight, she rolls over on her side to face the opposite direction to avoid the unwanted attention she's receiving from the heated solar sphere.

A faint knock buzzes through the hard wooden door.

Groaning tiredly, Brena plops herself up to glance over at her phone to take a look at the time. It was 7:00 am in the morning. Now Brena is usually a morning person but at this moment, all she wanted to do was to close her eyes and go back to sleep.

The knock starts up again and this time it wasn't as faint as the first time. When her watchful eyes searched the room to recollect her current location, she then knew who was at the door.

"Brena?" Desmond calls out behind the door.

Her eyes shoot open in shock while unlocking her phone to look at her camera to ensure she was looking presentable. She blows out warm air into her right palm for a breath check and it comes out kind of positive. And once again, her blue silk scarf slipped out of her thick gel-filled coiled hair in the middle of her sleep.

"Just a second." She shouts back at him, throwing the covers off her lower body.

Picking up her scarf from the pillow, she races to the bathroom and finds the mouthwash. As she quickly goggles her mouth, she undoes the bun and fluffs out her curls facing upward. After rinsing her mouth, Brena looks at herself once again before tiptoeing to the door trying to avoid the creaking sound from the floor.

She exhales nervously when reaching for the doorknob before slowly opening it as she pretended to have just woken from a deep sleep.

Desmond is starting to become impatient because he could hear the faucet running in the background. He hoped she wasn't trying to impress him with her appearance. He was certain she still glowed regardless of her just waking up. With his hand inside the pocket of his pajamas, he leans against the wall awaiting his guest.

When the door swings open, Brena meets face to face with a dashing yet shirtless Desmond who's lips curve up into a sweet smile when his hazel-gray eyes land on her.

"Goodmorning." He says, initiating the conversation between them while Brena steals a couple of glances at his toned chest.

With half-closed eyelids, Brena plays off her moment of thirst and responds lazily.

"Hi, goodmorning." She seals the response with a yawn.

"May I come in?" He asks, seeking her permission to enter her warm bedroom.

She pushes the door for him to fully step in. "Of course. My bad."

Desmond takes a seat on the bench in front of the bed waiting for Brena to join him. "How did you sleep?"