08: Missed me?

BRENA

THE countdown for Christmas had begun and we were just four days away. I have been so busy with work and planning my visit with Lillian to the shelters. Before I made my way to Costco to get some more items, I decided to stop by Lamarr's apartment.

A lot of things were on my mind as I drove there. I wanted to turn around and go about my day but I knew I had to be bold and do what needed to be done. I found a parking spot in front of the building, where there were a couple of men outside smoking and chatting.

As I stepped out, I heard loud whistles and mummers such as, "Damn, she fine as fuck." Said the tawny-colored skin old man with a bald patch in the middle of his head.

"I would get all up in there." Said a light-skinned man taking a puff out of his cigarette.

"Nah, that's my baby momma." Said a dark-skinned young man with braids who's no older than 25. He was sitting down with his legs spread open while staring at me flirtatiously.

I shook my head, ignoring them as I marched into the unkempt looking building. I saw the superintendent of the building and stopped him in order to ask a question.

"Hi sir, excuse me." I kindly said. "Sorry to bother you but I'm looking for a young man. He's about 6'1," I raised my hand over my head to describe his height. "Brown skin, sleeve tattoos and he lives here on the 5th floor, apartment 5d to be exact."

A thinking streak formed on top of his sweaty forehead as he paused to think. He seemed to know who I was trying to describe the way his eyes lit up.

"Ah yes, Lamarr. I remember him but he moved out about 5 months ago dear. I'm sorry." He informed me, gloomily.

I wasn't sure if I should be relieved or disappointed. For now, I was feeling both emotions and I was surprised that a part of me wanted to see him.

"No problem, thank you so much have a wonderful day sir." My only problem was that I wasted gas for my trip here.

I decided to go to Costco from there so I called my job to tell them I wouldn't be coming in tomorrow morning. Of course I didn't inform them why I simply said a family emergency came up. It may not exactly be an emergency but Lillian was family and she needed me to be with her tonight for the party.

Lillian's job organized their annual holiday party. like I said, I had a lot on my plate. I can't wait for the holidays to be over with so I can rest.

After speaking to my manager, I was given the go-ahead to not come in tomorrow. I rushed to Costco and bought everything I needed. Luckily for me, I came at the right time because some of the things I needed and ending buying were running out of stock.

While I was loading the items, my phone rang so I picked up using my Apple Watch. I already knew who it was so I didn't bother to look at the caller ID.

"Where are you, are you done yet?" Lillian queried, into the phone.

"I'm almost done. I'm packing everything inside now and since you got so much to say why didn't you come and help me." I semi yelled at her.

I was closing my trunk, about to return the cart but then I turned around and saw that the cart was gone and the only thing I heard was a faint thank you. I glanced at the direction it came from and that was when I saw a tall looking man walking away with the cart.